Another Zaino question

Bighunter4x4

Apr 12, 2005
First off I live in Michigan so washing my car right now is sort of not an option. However I have her all detailed up and a car cover on her in a heated space. When I purchased my 05 mustang I had the paint sealed from a reputable guy. I didnt learn of zaino yet. I paid quite a bit for this. It was done at a professional detailer shop, not at the dealer. He said it was a polymer teflon and when he saw my car he said he really wanted to take care of it. The finish looks great. After christmas polishing season is gonna start and was hoping to put zaino on the vehicle. Paint is very very clean and it looks fabulous. There is two "factory" scratches in it which he say will come out when the paint cures some more.

Question is what will I need from Zaino? Do I have to wash vehicle with dawn? Can I go over the sealer he put on with the zaino?

Thanks for the info guys. I want her to look her best when the weather finally gets here again.

• Sponsors (?)

Zaino always seems to recommend washing with Dawn. You can call Sal Zaino and he will explain what he thinks you should do and why. I used Zaino when I first got my Mach, then switched to NXT, but plan on going back to Zaino in the Spring.

I wouldn't recommend washing the car in Dawn. I've heard that it can cause some damage to your paint and that it doesn't. If I were you, take the safe route and clay bar it. Yes, it will take longer, but you'll be able to get everything off(since you'll be going over all the areas) and it's really good.

I don't recomend washing with dawn and a lot of pro detailers cring at that. Wash with a good car soap...Here are some steps to take
wash with car wash soap (NXT or Megs gold class)
clay bar
Paint cleaner
Ziano.....I have never used Ziano but I have and currently use 4 Stars Ultimate Paint Protection (UPP) and it is freakin awesome. Just like Ziano 4 Star's is a paint sealant and last a long time. You also have to order it (just like ziano). Use the search button on www.autopia.org to find all the info you need.

Thanks for the info. I would definitely claybar the entire vehicle. It is in showroom condition now. It would be real hard for me to wash it now with the cold weather. I didnt know if wiping the car with alcohol would be just as good as washing. I have heard so much about zaino and I have used the z-8 grand finale after using my regular detailer spray. I dont know if the z-8 is actually helping but it sure looks like it is. I love using the z-8 on the vehicle now and it is awesome. Expensive but awesome. Thanks guys for the input. I dont wash it too much as I keep her detailed well.

I've personally emailed Sal Zaino about the Dawn dishsoap, and the response I received he said not to make a habit of it, but it was a great way to remove old waxes and such from the paint. He also recommends claybar after the dawn soap.

I've used dawn a few times before on my Mustang and have had no bad effects from it.

Thanks guys for your input I really appreciate it.

More importantly what will I need to do this. I want the best shine possible. DO I get there zfx to start and then Z-2 pro polish there after? Also how many coats do you put on? :shrug:

Bighunter4x4 said:
Thanks for the info. I would definitely claybar the entire vehicle. It is in showroom condition now. It would be real hard for me to wash it now with the cold weather. I didnt know if wiping the car with alcohol would be just as good as washing. I have heard so much about zaino and I have used the z-8 grand finale after using my regular detailer spray. I dont know if the z-8 is actually helping but it sure looks like it is. I love using the z-8 on the vehicle now and it is awesome. Expensive but awesome. Thanks guys for the input. I dont wash it too much as I keep her detailed well.

their are waterless car washes that work well.

http://www.autogeek.net/washing.html

I think their (Zaino's) main reasoning to use Dawn is to get remnants of other waxes or sealants off the car before applying Zaino the first time. And I think that is because sealants don't bond well to waxes and blended waxes. Using Dawn one time won't hurt a car. Some folks say using it a lot dries out the paint. Once will not hurt it. With paint that is in excellent condition to start with, Zaino is not a big deal and is very easy to apply. Its a little pricey initially, but Zaino lasts. Try detailersclub.com. They have a lot of discussion on Zaino and Sal Zaino occasionally responds to questions, I believe. Also, Zaino has some product kits available that have a little of everything. You just need to figure out what you want.

I would get the ZFX, Z-2, Z-5, Z-6, Z-8 and try their soap once. Do a little homework about claying the car, but if it was just detailed you may not need it except for the flat surfaces. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the info guys. If I am going to spend the $$ I might as well do it right. I just need to know what wash mitt etc to wash the car with. This is the only question I havent got an answer from. Since I am new to the whole detailing scene I have learned a lot from here.

My last debate is the cotton towel thing sal zaino suggests in his webiste. I have a healthy supply of microfiber I have been using and getting good results with. Some say these scratch. I have gotten these at sams club and seem to be decent. Should I go ahead and get some of those "good" cotton towels?