Any1 Out Here Running Turbos On Their Stangs

• Sponsors (?)

My Turbonator is mad tyte.

byronscd2.jpg

Attachments

• byronscd2.jpg
    byronscd2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 71
well i plan to run a turbo in the future :shrug: . as for what the difference is just do a search on the internet you will find all you need to know. for the power adders for dummies...turbo's use exhaust gases to produce air pressure, where as a supercharger uses a belt.

Tyler....that is mad tyte!!!

turbo's rule over s/c just because you can make more power with the same psi in a turbo, due to the fact you don't give up some power to gain power like a supercharger, however turbo lag is it's negative with most of it's power made up top, where low end is better with the s/c.

98V6 K.I.T.T. said:
turbo's rule over s/c just because you can make more power with the same psi in a turbo, due to the fact you don't give up some power to gain power like a supercharger, however turbo lag is it's negative with most of it's power made up top, where low end is better with the s/c.
I see full boost at 3700rpm. Do that with your s/c.

turbos are better power adders hands down.

turbo pros - more power, no parasitic drag

turbo cons - expensive, lack of quality kits, heat can become an issue.

supercharger pros - less expensive, easier to install, lots of quality kits. Paxton, Vortech, Kenne Bell.

supercharger cons - makes less power than turbos, parasitic drag.

DBMSTNG said:
turbos are better power adders hands down.

turbo pros - more power, no parasitic drag

turbo cons - expensive, lack of quality kits, heat can become an issue.

supercharger pros - less expensive, easier to install, lots of quality kits. Paxton, Vortech, Kenne Bell.

supercharger cons - makes less power than turbos, parasitic drag.
Define "better"! :D

Better peak power - yes, does this mean it is a faster car = NO.
As it depends how the power is made and the delivery, also the car and setup play an important role.

Even the Roots blower can be setup to exceed the limits of a stock 2v unit, a twin screw blower will see over 700rwhp on a built 2v motor.

If you are building a circuit racer then a turbo is the way to go, as ultimatly it will produce more power and should be more reliable. And race cars will always be in the high rpms so even though massive turbo lag exists it does not become an issue.

For road use a supercharger is probably the best setup, for starters its cheaper and it will also work quite well on a stock motor, a turbo needs low compression to porduce the results (7:1 region), which is going to be expensive.

I love turbo cars (have owned a few) but in the case of the Mustang why go to the cost of a turbo setup when a supercharger can be done for less money and produce more "REAL WORLD" power.

If you seriously want more than 450rwhp the the turbo does become an alternative to a supercharger.

FYI - Top fuel dragsters and funny cars use superchargers not turbo's as they work better for drag racing.

ALLAN_M said:
ok guys thanks alot
but i was thinkin of puttin around 600hp on my stang n u say thats not possible with a supercharger?
a 1.7 KB @ 14psi will see over 500rwhp which would be 550+bhp at the crank. However you would need run it on 100 octane fuel and it would be behond the limits of the engine.

For more power you would need forged internals and probably a lower CR to help with controlling detonation (A/F ratio). I think for a blower 8.4 or 8.9:1 is good CR, can't rember which, it is stated on the KB site. This 1.7 kit tops out at near 700rwhp but they then also offer a bigger 2.2 blower if you want more, but at this level it is not a street car but a full out race machine.

To safly see that power with a turbo I guess you would need a much lower CR and quite a different setup.

It has to be your choice, but a good s/c setup either centrifugal or twin screw has enough potential to take a fully built motor beyond its limits.

It's a bit like having two beers, one with an alcohol content of 5.1% (supercharger) and the other with 5.5% (turbo).

One has slightly more kick, but will it really get you drunk any quicker?