Anybody ever hear of Thunder intake for 5.0?

vferrizz

Oct 23, 2020
Fleetwood, PA
I found an ad for what the seller called a Thunder high rise intake for a mustang. From the pictures it looks like it is for a MAF car and still has the TPS and IAB on it. It looks like a correct intake for a 87 - 93 Foxbody but I never save seen one of these before. Does anyone know anything about these intakes?

• Sponsors (?)

Let me see if I am smart enough to figure that out. I’ll give it a shot:

Attachments

• 1C67CCE1-89FE-4F35-8B5E-3D06B6717F62.jpeg
    1C67CCE1-89FE-4F35-8B5E-3D06B6717F62.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 123
Can't go wrong with a Cobra/GT40/Explorer intake. Porting the stock intake is a waste of time.

Kurt
Yeah I have heard that debate in the past and saw some articles that compared the stock, GT40s (tubular) Cobras and the Explorer intakes. All flowed better than the stock one. I can’t justify spending $750 or more on an intake so I was keeping porting the factory one as an option.

Yeah I have heard that debate in the past and saw some articles that compared the stock, GT40s (tubular) Cobras and the Explorer intakes. All flowed better than the stock one. I can’t justify spending $750 or more on an intake so I was keeping porting the factory one as an option.

You just can't go wrong with any of those. They are all basically the same. If anything, the most expensive of the bunch, the GT40, has the biggest shortcoming, because the upper can't be ported. You can find an explorer intake on ebay almost any day of the week under $200. A used Cobra won't be much more. Tmoss can get it to flow 250cfms with a very affordable port job.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
You just can't go wrong with any of those. They are all basically the same. If anything, the most expensive of the bunch, the GT40, has the biggest shortcoming, because the upper can't be ported. You can find an explorer intake on ebay almost any day of the week under $200. A used Cobra won't be much more. Tmoss can get it to flow 250cfms with a very affordable port job.

Kurt
I did check on eBay for a used Cobra intake and they are asking crazy money for them. I do have a local boneyard down the road that has a boat load of Explorers soI guess I could pull one myself. I just like the look of the Cobra intake so I guess I should just keep looking for one. Maybe I’ll get lucky?

Just find an early explorer intake with the -BA lower and internal EGR. Install that and when you finally find a cobra intake you can just swap the upper on and then sell the explorer upper off.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Just find an early explorer intake with the -BA lower and internal EGR. Install that and when you finally find a cobra intake you can just swap the upper on and then sell the explorer upper off.
Accurate. The years don't match up. I want to say a 95' and older Explorer intake matches up with a 93' and older Mustang, and a 96' and newer Explorer intake matches up with a 94' and newer Mustang.

Kurt

302s started in the Explorer in '96. The intakes with the internal EGR ports are '96s and some early '97's. Basically (but not absolutely) these intakes are on GT40 3-bar headed engines with the non-EGR intakes on GT40P 4-bar heads. I say not absolutely because the first pair of 3-bars I ever pulled were on an '98. May have been a rebuilt or replacement engine at some point. The intake was a non-EGR style on that particular vehicle.

Good luck hunting.

Thanks. The more info the better. Even though my car is far from original, the suspension, rear, brakes and tranny have all been upgraded, I want to get some more hp out of my motor but also want to have a clear dash (ie no check engine lights). I am a PITA like that so I need to make sure I get the right one w/ EGR. Junkyard diving this Saturday!!!!!

If you look behind where the dist would be on a Mustang, there's a part number cast into the lower intake.

F87E-9K461-BA is the early EGR style manifold. The 65mm TB can also be modified to work on a FOx

F87E-9K461-BB is the later style non-EGR intake manifold.

If you have the choice, the -BA intake is the one to get. Take the TB and the injectors as well

• Loved It!
Reactions: 1 user