Anyone bought pistons recently?

Rebel-OUTLAW

Founding Member
Sep 21, 2002
Canada
I'm looking for new pistons for my motor. It's from an 87-88 TurboCoupe so I need to find Forged pistons (20 to 30-over). What price did you pay and where?
So far I've found (if anyone else is looking)
Canada
Performance Improvements $97 cda ea.
A local Speed shop $92 cda ea.(my price)
US
www.pickproparts.com $58.31 us ea. (about $115 cda w/shipping)

Any help...thanx

• Sponsors (?)

i see no problem with buying new pistons. if you plan in the future to add boost and maybe spray a little, new pistons just give peace of mind over 15 year old ones. while you're at it, you might look into getting ones .030 over and getting your block machined as well. nice new compression bottom end to build from.

like was stated, pretty much any replacment pistons are going to be hyper's instead of forged. The safest route (though more exspensive) is to go aftermark with something like diamonds or weisco, that will give you peace of mind knowing they are forged, and stronger than stock. Like i said, its abit more exspensive :rolleyes:

I have run both SpeedPro and Weisco in my racing 2.3's for 15 years now and I prefer the Weisco's for a few reasons. First they do not grow as much in the bore. SpeedPros need about .004" clearance cold which causes piston slap and leaves some scoring on the walls of the cylinder. Next is the weight. The Weisco is a lot lighter. The SpeedPro also has a very long skirt which sucks the HP as well as distorting when they finally do get hot. Look at what Race Engineering www.raceeng.com has and do some comparisons. I have been able to get 4 seasons out of the Weiscos vs. almost 2 for the SpeedPros.

rvracers said:
I have run both SpeedPro and Weisco in my racing 2.3's for 15 years now and I prefer the Weisco's for a few reasons. First they do not grow as much in the bore. SpeedPros need about .004" clearance cold which causes piston slap and leaves some scoring on the walls of the cylinder. Next is the weight. The Weisco is a lot lighter. The SpeedPro also has a very long skirt which sucks the HP as well as distorting when they finally do get hot. Look at what Race Engineering www.raceeng.com has and do some comparisons. I have been able to get 4 seasons out of the Weiscos vs. almost 2 for the SpeedPros.

how much boost where you running??and these pistons are going to be for a daliy driver, and some autocrossing between 3-5K RPMs

4b316 said:
E-bay has several sets for sale,bought mine there ,very happy
i found some but they werent forged

LX are you going to see track time or is this just for a Daily driver? because for the DD I think that both SpeedPro and Weisco will suit you just the same. But if you are making a racer then you would have to go more indepth when you compare the two. Mine was rebuilt with Speed Pro but I can not tell you anything because it isnt in the car yet. I do agree with many many many on the forums go forged and you will be happier.

kiddiccarus said:
LX are you going to see track time or is this just for a Daily driver? because for the DD I think that both SpeedPro and Weisco will suit you just the same. But if you are making a racer then you would have to go more indepth when you compare the two. Mine was rebuilt with Speed Pro but I can not tell you anything because it isnt in the car yet. I do agree with many many many on the forums go forged and you will be happier.

where did you get yours?? are you saying that the speed pro ones arent forged?? i plan to run 20psi at the track but i wont be at the track every weekend, ill just head up there just to get times, im not a big drag racing fan, but i do autocross in the summer about once a month running 15-20psi depending on how hot it is out.

Lx: This isn't rocket science. Call up Summit Racing, order some speed pro pistons (yes, they are forged), order some rings for it, and call it a day. If they don't have them, call Jegs. If they don't have them, call Speed Pro. Need numbers or websites? Do a search on Google.

Stinger

Pretty off topic but I though it s interesting and din't warrant it's own thread. A carbon fiber piston and ceramic ring from a porsche of some sort.
Carbon%20Carbon%20coated%20piston%20and%20displayed%20ceramic%20ring%20%20.jpg

LX yes mine are forged they came with the purchase I made for one complete engine and 1 rebuilt block (the block gave me headaches I had to tear it apart and fix it myself) I have a pic of the pistons on my web site. Call Summit and others like Stinger mentioned and you won’t regret it.