Anyone ever had a SC blow up their motor?

Modular_Mike

Sep 9, 2006
Just curious. I just placed an order last week on the v2 sq through superchargersonline as it was about $450 cheaper than the mongoose kit. Just wondering if anyone has any stories they'd like to share.

• Sponsors (?)

Just curious. I just placed an order last week on the v2 sq through superchargersonline as it was about $450 cheaper than the mongoose kit when all was said and done. Just wondering if anyone has any stories they'd like to share.

the98stang said:
Of course people are going to blow their engines. But these are the people that don't get a good tune. Just goto a reputable tuner, and you will be golden :)

Right on. Thx bro. The more I hear that the better I feel. I'm going to a place that is HUGE for tuning in chicago.

I think I'm gonna upgrade to the cobra brakes too. My current rotors are shot, as they haven't been replaced ever @ 47,000 miles on a 2000.

Also, I'm looking at http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=458 this. Not a drastic drop in height by only .75"...but I'd bet the handling is greatly improved. Trying to not break the bank, I've got a lot of **** I'm putting into this car for performance. Not to mention I need new tires, which sucks cuz their gonna be all seasons. I'll probably get a new set of tires and rims for performance in the spring.

lvmustanggt said:
congrat on your purchase. I am saving for boost too. Can you please tell me how much did it cost you ? Did you bought IC or non IC model

I spent $2939 on the complete kit (v2-sq) shipped. Just need to buy some spark plugs (which plugs should I go with?) But I think superchargers online raised the prices sincle last week. Also, is it reccomended to change the fuel filter?

Looks like you've already got the xcal2 so you won't have to buy that. Probably add another $400 - $500 for the tune. Instalation is supposed to be a breeze, only thing I'm concerned about, and not sure WHY, is tapping the oil pan.

I got the non intercooled model. From what I understand your better off going with a paxton aftercooler as they are useable with a vortech setup.

:flag:

I respectfully disagree with the "weak motor" thing. I believe 4.6 is a great motor, with relatively cheap rods and pistons. Replace those and you're golden. The block is supposedly good to over 1,000 horsepower.. which is far more than the old 5.0's (stupid zipper blocks.) You can more than DOUBLE our engines dyno horsepower numbers without any other supporting mods, and with a conservative tune still get a ton of miles out of it.

Anyways, that's a good question. Because now that I think of it, in the last 5 or so years, I've read probably thousands of threads of people recommending how to NOT blow up the motor, but probably only 4 or 5 actual threads where people did it.

Keep in mind, though, the majority of Mustang owners live in the south, where the Internet hasn't quite.. "caught on" yet.. so we probably will never know the true number of people who blow them up.

speedytang said:
Always. People push the car to hard and seen a lot of blower damage in the last 20 years. 4.6 is a weak motor so don't push it to hard.

That's why I bought the vortech. I had a guy near me who was selling his intercooled 1.7 KB. He said he was doing 400 at the rear, then pushed it to 220 & blew the engine. I figure if I get 350 at the rear I'll be happy AND safe.

Modular_Mike said:
I spent $2939 on the complete kit (v2-sq) shipped. Just need to buy some spark plugs (which plugs should I go with?) But I think superchargers online raised the prices sincle last week. Also, is it reccomended to change the fuel filter?

Looks like you've already got the xcal2 so you won't have to buy that. Probably add another $400 - $500 for the tune. Instalation is supposed to be a breeze, only thing I'm concerned about, and not sure WHY, is tapping the oil pan.

I got the non intercooled model. From what I understand your better off going with a paxton aftercooler as they are useable with a vortech setup.

:flag:
You sound like you've done your research. Good luck with the install and have fun with the blower!:nice:

sgarlic said:
Keep in mind, though, the majority of Mustang owners live in the south, where the Internet hasn't quite.. "caught on" yet.. so we probably will never know the true number of people who blow them up.
And I have to "respectfully disagree" with this statement all together. Tim, Modular Powerhouse, one of the hands down BEST tuners of these cars is down south, and dont forget Florida. There is a huge amount of Southern people that do in fact have the internet, so you're numbers that you think for blown engines are probably correct:nice: The same things could be said about people out in the midwest, we're not all hicks :)

About the supercharger, awesome man, youll love it, and it seems you know what you need to do. BEFORE you get on the car at all, take it to a dyno and get it tuned by someone REPUTABLE. Do NOT use Vortechs base tune. Eliminate that factor from the equation. Oh, and enjoy :D

sgarlic said:

Guess you never heard of companies like Dell, HP, etc etc... Anyways, it is all in the tune. I've got the Mongoose kit and have had it for 15k miles no without problems. I've done multiple trips down the 1/4, auto-xing, etc and as long as you follow all the common sense precautions you'll be fine. Unfortunately, Tim does not tune kits that did not come from him so you'll have to take your chances with another tuner. As long as they know what they are doing and you keep it under 10psi of boost, you should be fine.

I guess I should have been more specific....he won't mail out a tune for a Non-Mongoose kit. If you go to his shop, he'll tune the car. Thanks for pointing that out....not enough coffee!

01BlkGT said:
Guess you never heard of companies like Dell, HP, etc etc...

I don't see how HP being headquartered in California disproves my point about the majority of southerners not having Internet... But hey, good job representing the south!

Guess you never heard of regional headquarters eh????

Hewlett-Packard USA
20555 SH 249
Houston, TX 77070 USA

Either way making generalizations about regions aren't exactly the best show of intelligence either... I guess you are also privy to the census that shows the populations that have internet as well. But all in all, I'm glad you feel you have the knowledge to answer things you have "read" about rather than passing on information you have actual first hand knowledge of or have personally experienced.

"You can more than DOUBLE our engines dyno horsepower numbers without any other supporting mods, and with a conservative tune still get a ton of miles out of it."

I don't think I have ever seen a dyno sheet of a stock 2v putting down 440-460rwhp (keeping in mind most P.I. 2v 4.6's dyno from 220-230rwhp). People that do make that much usually have, upgraded tank/pumps, i/c, making about 15psi of boost or 10psi with cams, and aggressive timing. Most stock sb cars are on borrowed at that power level which is why the swap to a forged sb is in order. But what do I know, I'm only a southerner that actually HAS a blower rather than someone who has read about them......

sgarlic said:
I don't see how HP being headquartered in California disproves my point about the majority of southerners not having Internet... But hey, good job representing the south!

:lol: Internet? South? :lol:

Al Gore invented the internet. Al Gore is the quintessential Southern gentleman. Thus, the South and the Internet have been together since birth. Don't you know anything?

speedytang said:
It is the Pistons and Rods that will give you trouble if you go to far over 350 rwhp. As I stated it is a weak motor when that is a problem at such a low horsepower but then it was built to be 260hp at the crank.

Untrue. If properly tuned and the car carries the correct A/F ratio, a stock 4.6 motor can last. Of course if you stay within reasonable boost levels. My stock motor threw down 432rwhp. I ran my Cobra with only 9 pds of boost for over two years without piston detonation or without any rods breaking. What goes first is your rings.

The smart thing to do is rebuild your block with forged internals first before you strap on the blower/turbo. It's costly, and not much fun. But if you plan on keeping the car, it's better off in the long run.

It's all in the A/F ratio's my boys.