anyone ever try this?

94opalgt

May 5, 2005
AKRON,OHIO
distributorless 5.0? like on the 96 and up 5.0 explorer's. they use a cam sensor where the distributor goes and an 8 plug coil pack. but i was thinkin trying to use a 2 coil pack set up like on the early 4.6, and hiding them in the fender wells. or maybe even trying coil on plug ignition like the later 4.6's are.
i've seen it done in a magazine on a fox car. but i'm not sure how to do it cuz the guy wouldn't give up how he did it. anyone now where i could find some info on doing this? i know he said he used a computer out of a 99 mustang. either way would clean up the engine bay enormously, and be pretty interesting to do.
i'm trying to come up with different things to do to my next mustang cuz i'm tired of seeing the same stuff on all the cars. i'm actually leaning towards buying a porsche 928S if i don't come up with something different to do.
thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

There are many ways of doing it. The easiest I believe at the moment, is by using the AEM engine computer with their distributor/sensor. It puts basically a plug in the distributor that still has a gear on it, that is pretty much only the bottom half of a normal distributor. The computer takes care of the rest.

The old BXR intake that was available many moons ago, actually required a distributorless ignition, as it placed the throttlebody directly above the distributor hole. So I know it can be done, but I also don't believe it is emissions legal to run this setup.

I also remember a kit available(can't remember the manufacturer at the moment) that was a bolt on kit to make the 5.0H.O. a distributorless ignition.