anyone explain this weird noise?

ryan218

In just 10 years, I'll be old enough to drive!!!!
Dec 28, 2005
columbus ohio
i went and had tail pipes put on my mustang friday. my exhaust consists of stock headers, mac pro chamber, flows, then tail pipes...so..on the way back into town ( 80 miles drive )as im entering town i start hearing a whistling type of noise.

when i put the prochamber on a few months ago i had a huge leak..got that fixed and its been fine till now, so i get it home put it on jack stands and check the fit, still tight and centered on the header, so my next thought...maybe the header gasket blew out..so i replaced it...nope still got the noise..and im at a lose i have no idea what it is...i taped a quick vid for you guys to see...

View attachment 346192

any ideas? im out of em?

• Sponsors (?)

i think it's probably the f150 radio.... dont worry about it!

j/k. what have you done to your smog equipment?anything? i'd check the tubing that comes out of the back of the heads, and follow it checking for leaks...
what area does the noise seem to be coming from?

on a side note, when i ordered my (chrome) bbk LT's, the welds on the flange to tubing had holes in them! big holes, that you could see through!(a couple, between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch! I couldn't believe they sent them out!)
if i hadn't noticed before install, i would have been so pissed to find out after. i wish i would have took pics...
anyways, i'm a (part time) welder, so it wasn't a big deal, but that may be something else to look into. check the welds. even if there weren't holes upon install, if it was a bad weld, it could have been a very thin seal, which eventually blew out or corroded somewhere. just a long shot, but if you cant think of any other possible reason, it may be something to check.

i think it's probably the f150 radio.... dont worry about it!

j/k. what have you done to your smog equipment?anything? i'd check the tubing that comes out of the back of the heads, and follow it checking for leaks...
what area does the noise seem to be coming from?

on a side note, when i ordered my (chrome) bbk LT's, the welds on the flange to tubing had holes in them! big holes, that you could see through!(a couple, between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch! I couldn't believe they sent them out!)
if i hadn't noticed before install, i would have been so pissed to find out after. i wish i would have took pics...
anyways, i'm a (part time) welder, so it wasn't a big deal, but that may be something else to look into. check the welds. even if there weren't holes upon install, if it was a bad weld, it could have been a very thin seal, which eventually blew out or corroded somewhere. just a long shot, but if you cant think of any other possible reason, it may be something to check.

dont hate ont her radio..it works! :rlaugh:

these are stock headers... i replaced the gaskets today but that didnt help..the header bolts were brley finger tight though lol...i TQ ed them down after some fel pro gaskets..um well nonthing has reallt been done to EGR..but when i put in the pro chamber the EGR tube that comes down i pulled down some to attach to my pro chamber..so maybe i broke it a while ago and its just startd leaking today?..

so since this gives me a reason to get rid of my EGR **** whats to do?

what all can go and what needs to stay? about the back of the heads? what do i do about them?

It is an exhuast leak. Check your O2 sensors. Maybe one is cracked. One way to find out where its coming from is when its cold start the car up and put your hand around every part of your exhuast you will feel the air blowing out. Put it around header at the collector and check the O2 sensor. Trust me you will feel it. Do it fast so you wont get burned

It is an exhuast leak. Check your O2 sensors. Maybe one is cracked. One way to find out where its coming from is when its cold start the car up and put your hand around every part of your exhuast you will feel the air blowing out. Put it around header at the collector and check the O2 sensor. Trust me you will feel it. Do it fast so you wont get burned

ive done this....i cant feel a thing!...at first when i happend i was thinking maybe it was something with the valvetrain? but its still runing great?

sounds to me like your airpump tube at the back of your cylinder heads has a rust hole in it. you may not be able to see it from the engine compartment, but if you get under the car and look up toward the bellhousing and the back of the heads you mite find it!