Anyone have a Fiberglass enclosure in spare tire well?

• Sponsors (?)

a buddy had this done back in HS (almost 20 years ago) in his 88 gt. used and inverted 12 i think and if i remember right it sounded great.

My lx has a sub enclosure that was fabricated and installed by the PO and is a really nice unit. The bottom is fiberglass and the top sits about 3" above the factory floor. It is then covered by the finish piece.

IMG_5486.jpg

92_lx_stereo_1.jpg

you can lay trash bags in the spare tire well and then get some fiberglass and resin and make a base for a custom box and when it cures it should fit better fitting than anything you can buy and get the most of your air space but you have to be shure to have the correct sq ft of air for your sub. how you want the top side to look is up to you.
KHibbs, that is a clean looking finished product with the cover.

Glad you like it. I am not exactly how he did the bottom part but it is perfectly molded to the spare tire well (trash bag and resin sounds like a great idea).

I can't take any credit for the design/box/cover as the PO who is a member on StandNet did everything. I am just the happy new owner......:D

K

I have built custom fiberglass eclosures for my vehicles and posted them on this site, I am going to be building one for another member here tomorrow. I will post pics.

We chose not to go with spare tire for a couple reasons though... First, it eliminates your spare! As dumb as this sounds, these vehicles are one standard screw driver away from stealing. If you get a flat and must abandon your vehicle, no way insurance covers exhaust, heads, cam, intake, supercharger etc.. huge loss for something so trivial.

Second, when youve got a sub like this..
View attachment 194938

It doesnt lend itself to having enough room within the spare tire well and still having a semblance of space or flush fit. :nice:

The one my buddy did the sub fired into the spare tire well and he had the basket polished and it was sticking up into the trunk, i dont remember if it was a free air sub, must have been, i wish i had a pic of it but ive been out of touch with the guy for about 20 years.

if the sub was sealed into the spare tire hole upside down it should not have to be a free air because it would still have the pos and neg pressure to stop it from over throwing itself

use vinyl tape instead of trash bags, and then you lay down chop mat and resin and the whole rest of the process. I just made a fiberglass kick panel speaker box today actually. Finish wrapping it in vinyl next week. if you take your time and do it right, youll be happy with the results