Interior and Upholstery Anyone replaced their firewall insulation?

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Another " if I am going to do this,now is the time"......
Everything is out that would have to be removed to do this......

What is in there seems to be in good shape, just concerned that it might have a musty smell after 38 years..

Anyone else done this and were you glad you did??

• Sponsors (?)

No.

LMR sells replacement insulation bits it’s spendy. Mine was in good shape so I left it.
What year is your car Mike? Was it ever stored? Really don't want to do it, the work or the money, but again worried about smell......
No evidence of mice or rats in it or in the heater box....

‘88. It’s sat in storage for a decade or so, but I never really had any issues with rodents. The pad looked brand new so I left it

797DF40F-316D-49F9-87C6-023888FA8018.jpeg

If there has been no leaks in that area and the rest of the floor pan is good I would leave it, if it had a odor you would know it.. And replacement carpet and insulation just is not as good as original, dynomat or equivalent under the original pad and under carpet is like night and day floor temp wise, I did the Dump Truck and the Junk Pyle from the top of the toe boards to the back.

Reactions: 1 user
If there has been no leaks in that area and the rest of the floor pan is good I would leave it, if it had a odor you would know it.. And replacement carpet and insulation just is not as good as original, dynomat or equivalent under the original pad and under carpet is like night and day floor temp wise, I did the Dump Truck and the Junk Pyle from the top of the toe boards to the back.
The entire car has an odor..LOL.. Looks like it got wet on the pass side under the heater core.....
I have to gut the rest of the car and clean it so its hard to tell if the firewall pad has any odor...

Some pics of the right side getting some sun..... You can see the stains, ( thats the lower part of of the insulation ) but it does not seem to smell.. I had concerns that it was Anti Freeze but the verdict is out until it sets in the sun a few days...... I have never had luck getting anti freeze to evaporate...
I " think " I will reuse it at this time but as I said, after it sets in the sun for a few days....
If I knew the reproduction fit in well without alot of hassle, I would be more apt to pull the trigger.... RARELY do the repros fit well has been my experience.
WAY more involvement on how I wanted to do this car, but whats new huh..... LOL
Any thoughts here???
DSCF1068.JPG
DSCF1069.JPG