Anyone try Magnuson carbureted Supercharger

• Sponsors (?)

That's basically the same Eaton supercharger used on the Thunderbird SC, which gave the V6 'Bird WAY more power than the 5.0 'Bird.

The Explorer Express kit for the 5.0 Exploder is based on the SC design, and the 6 psi boost changes the truck 5.0 from 215 hp to 285 hp.

That's basically the same Eaton supercharger used on the Thunderbird SC, which gave the V6 'Bird WAY more power than the 5.0 'Bird.

The Explorer Express kit for the 5.0 Exploder is based on the SC design, and the 6 psi boost changes the truck 5.0 from 215 hp to 285 hp.

I'm sorry man...but the only think that blower has in common with the one used on the Thunderbird SC/Early XR7 is its basic mechanical design.

The Thunderbird SC's/Cougar XR7's used either a 2nd or 3rd Gen (depending on the year and model) Eaton M90 (90 ci of air per revolution). Aside from their smaller displacement, they early Eaton M90's utilized a small oval or square shaped inlet/outlet design as well as a 3-lobe 60-degree rotor profile and an external boost bypass system. An improvement for certain over the old strait cut Roots style blowers you see included in the Weiand/Holly 6-71/8-71 kits powering most small block rods, but still nothing anywhere close to the design of the 5th Generation Magnuson sold in the above auction.

The 5th Generation Magnuson in the auction is an MP122 (122 ci of air per revolution) Its more closely comparable to the 4th Gen MP112 used in the '03-'04 Cobra's and 2nd Gen Lightning’s. Think of it as basically the "performance" version of the Eaton model. The 4th and 5th Gen models also incorporate a 60-degree rotor profile and both the 4th and 5th Gen MP series incorporate an internal bypass valve. The 5th Gen differs by adding more aggressive port timing (since unlike the standard Eaton, the Magnson Supercharger doesn't need to meet noise constraints for OEM requirements). Both the inlet and outlet side also have improved shape and increased volume for better flow and efficiency.

Also, the Explorer Express kit actually uses a 4th Generation version of the Eaton MP90. An improvement for certain over the 3rd Generation huffer found on the T-Bird/Cougar, but still no comparison to the Magnuson.

Recent testing has actually shown that when stacking a modern 4th Generation Eaton blower against a comparably sized and the more "creatively advertized" Twin Screw compressor in a head to head comparison, that flow and efficiency results between the two are actually quite similar. Generally, efficiency levels with the Eaton are actually better in the lower regions than the Twin Screw and the Twin Screw tends to promote better efficiency up top.

The 5th Gen Magnuson on the other hand has been shown to consistently best the more renown Twin Screw design all the way across the board.

...but you'll never hear companies like Lysholm, Opcon, or especially Kenne Bell acknowledge that one. ;)

So yes....this is a good blower. Your big issue at this point will be fabbing up a lower manifold for it.

Hey, I said "basically". The one in the ad is for direct carburation, and has no provision for the bypass inlet, as does the SC and EE items. The last two years of SC production used an improved version, too, which produced an increase of 2 psi.

the auction there is for the 4th gen 112, not the 122. still, very impressive

It may very well be a 5th Gen unit...only it seems that it is now being replaced with the MP122. In any case, it’s really hard to tell if it’s a 4th Gen, or 5th Gen just by looking at it. The major differences between the two is a new, low friction coating on the lobes to tighten tolerances between the intersecting rotors and bearing material. There may be a few other minor differences, but I can't recall them right now?

In any case...you're right....it’s a very impressive blower and well worth the money to someone who wants to fab up their own set up. :nice:
Hey, I said "basically". The one in the ad is for direct carburation, and has no provision for the bypass inlet, as does the SC and EE items.
As you can plainly see in the picture....the internal bypass valve is present and fully functional. It’s only been moved from the traditional position to the front of the blower to accommodate the top mount inlet. :)

View attachment 235629
View attachment 235630
View attachment 235631

The last two years of SC production used an improved version, too, which produced an increase of 2 psi.
The last two years of the SC utilized the 3rd Gen M90....the same one that's on my car (although mine has been "S-Ported". It had a square inlet port in comparison to the oval port of the 2nd Gen. The result was a less restrictive inlet and about a 15hp power jump to 230bhp. Respectable for an emissions equipped 3.8L engine built in the 80's, that was designed to run 100k before changing the blower oil. :nice:

do you think this would be worth power on a 351W? with only 10 cc more displacement they added quite a bit of power on their chevy small block. I can't imagine this setup being too far behind.. . .

Anytime you add forced induction, its going to pick up the power. So yes, I'd say its more than worth it. More importantly, it'll add big block like, tire shredding power to an already torquey 351.

What are you planning to do for a lower manifold? Gonna see if you can pick up a Weiand/Holley unit from their kit and get creative?

A sheetmetal intake would probably work best, since it would eliminate the hassle of modifying a cast intake manifold. It just looks like after getting into the blower, manifold, drive system, and distributor relocation (EDIS8?), you could have a pretty setup for less than a grand, if you don't mind doing the work yourself and do a little engineering