AOD Neutral Safety switch

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
North Atlanta
I bought an Art Carr AOD for my 66 mustang. It is carbureted. I will have no computer or electronics on the car. Do I still have to wire in the neutral safety switch from the AOD into the starter solenoid and shifter?

If I do...how do I do it?

• Sponsors (?)

allcarfan said:
I bought an Art Carr AOD for my 66 mustang. It is carbureted. I will have no computer or electronics on the car. Do I still have to wire in the neutral safety switch from the AOD into the starter solenoid and shifter?

If I do...how do I do it?

There is a "plug" (female) that attaches to the AOD that has four wires hanging from it. (The AOD has four pins). They are for the reverse lights (two wires) and the starting position (park & neutral). These need to be tied into the existing wires of the car to allow these to work. There is not mechanical mechanism that prevents starting. I have my plug off of my AOD. I ill take a picture later for you so you can see what I mean. But, I do not know what wires go with what function. Trial and error to get it correct.

so the neutral safety switch is controlled electronically through an AOD?

I can get the plug with the wires and I have a wiring schematic. Hooking the neutral safety switch up to my shifter (cable controlled by the way, no linkage) is not a problem. I just didnt know if it was necessary since there is really nothing to tell the starter to not crank if there is no computer.

Thanks for the links too guys.

The only difference between the neutral safety/back up light switch between an AOD and a C4 is the shape and mounting postion. Their is no fancy electronics in an AOD other than switches. The AOD plug wires can be spliced into your Mustang harness (cut off the plug to your C4 neutral safety switch and splice in to AOD plug) very easily.