aod ?s

351w fastback

Jul 25, 2004
i am putting a aod in my 67 mustang but i am confused on what one to get? a stock aod? lentech? i have heard that the shift pattern on the stock aod is bad but im not sure about this.. the engine is a 351w.

• Sponsors (?)

COV3R is right. what are you planning for the engine? the lentech tranny is expensive, but custom built and will handle a fair amount of power. a stock AOD can be modified with th e lentech valve body for much less money, and the input shaft can be upgraded as well, and the stock AOD can then handle about 450hp for alot less money. the shift pattern is also changed with the lentech valve body, and you get an electric OD lock out as well.

well right now its a 351w, twisted wedge heads, comp cams xe 274, weiand stealth intake manifold, holley 750, 3.73 gears.. probably about 325 hp at the wheels im guessing? i have a c4 right now but it runs like at 3200 rpm on the freeway so im looking to lower that.
thanks

I had a local trans shop modify my stock AOD. All in all, it wound up costing me 1800.00 including the cost of the low miles AOD.

You can get a decent one for that price, but the one I had modified will blow most aftermarket units away. The guy who built it for me is well known around my area as one of the best builders.

I specialize in the AOD/E/4R70W and this would be a great trans for your project. Like mentioned though...you can get as elaborate as you like and spend boocoo $, but the AOD will hold more HP over stock with just slight mods.

You sound like mostly street and want good drivability with good MPG. I suggest maybe KEEPing the lockup. if you want any more specifics I would glad to help.

yeah ive only been to a track once because the closet one is about 3 hours away. should i get a different valve body? i want to keep the cost down as much as possible but i still want it to be reliable. Should i buy a aod from a mustang and rebuild?
thanks for the help

I believe that your torque maybe too much for a stock AOD and therefore would recommend a higher quality unit with the larger servo, better bands & valve body and one piece input shaft. If you know a local shop that can do this to a stock AODand has good references you might save some $$.

I would recommend the Art Carr Extreme as it comes with the good stuff, warranty, free shipping, good reputation and a torque converter for around $2500. The Lentech is the creme of the crop but it's about 1K more with a torque converter and shipping.

if you use a one piece input shaft you will lose the lockup feature of the tq convertor. on a basically stock or fairly mild 351w a one piece input shaft really isn't needed. i would get a trans with extra clutches, the larger aode od band, the better servo from the t-bird super coupe or an aftermarket servo and a good shift kit or the lentech valve body (lentech VB would be my choice). the shift pattern is still the same as the as any 3 speed ford tranny so need to change anything there, what you have heard about is that the aod does not have a seperate detent for 2nd gear and the trans shifts automatically on it's own from first to second with no real control available to the driver. the lentech valve body kit will redirect the fluid flow so that you will have manual control of all 4 gears with od being an electric push button. so basically you have manual control of 1st, 2nd and third with the shifter, but like i said the detents are the same as a c4, c6, fmx, etc. so you can use the stock shifter from your car.

There is this option for an overdrive, http://www.gearvendors.com/index.html

It can handle up to 1200 HP according to them, much more than any of us have. I just installed one of these in my Mustang, but cannot yet give you driving impressions, hopefully I can do that after the weekend.

I went this route instead of an AOD after adding up the expenses for both. If I went with the AOD, I would need an AOD (lentech or other stoutly built expensive trans), new headers and resulting exhaust work since the TriY's won't work with the AOD, and then the slew of other parts required for the install. With the GV unit I only needed a driveshaft, install was virtually painless and I have the option of splitting every gear, giving me a six speed trans. I did the install at home on the garage floor, and decided to have a new driveshaft made rather than shorten the existing one. If you look at page 8 of my CarDomain site, there is a photo of the GV unit bolted together showing what it looks like.

4MuscleMachines said:
Where did you locate your shift button? Is the GW unit "clunky" or too mechanical like?

I can answer the "Clunky" part after I drive it, hopefully this weekend. I put the shift button on the floor, it is a dimmer switch, to the right and above the headlight dimmer. I intend to use this as an overdrive on the highway, not so much for around town. One would have to be pretty nimble and quick in order to switch in and out of the gears (6 speed mode) if you floored it from a stop. How long is an automatic in first gear, or for that matter second gear? This mode is probably used in an RV type install, slowly leaving a stop, slowly moving along, all the time in the world to switch on and off the overdrive.

It will make my 3.55 gears act like a 2.77 on the highway, no more 3200rpm cruises.