Are 1.90 edelbrock heads ok for a 331 or 347 stroker?

• Sponsors (?)

2.02 valves would be better suited, but a 1.90 will get the job done so to speak, and will probably give you a lil more bottom end torque. I would stick the the 600 carb, if need be maybe a 650 but I think a 750 would be too much.

A bigger cam will help make up for less than ideal heads. I'd say at [email protected] intake duration or 235 for a 347. keep the lift under .550, those heads dont flow any more over that and it just wears out the springs unnecessarily. The best way to check if a carb is too small is to measure manifold vacuum under load, as in hard driving or on a dyno. If vacuum is present, a bigger carb is needed for optimum HP. If no vacuum is present, a smaller carb may be used, which helps idle quality, mpg and drivability at part throttle.

AFR 205 heads, Comp cam XE282HR. The eddy's r too small for a stout 331/347. With 10.7:1CR and this combo and the right carb, easy 375-400 @ the RW, NA

I think he already has the Edelbrock heads and doesn't want to spend an extra $1700 on heads, but those would certainly be a better choice, maybe a little more towards the racey end though. It's hard to beat the AFR 185's on a 331/347 or some healthy Twisted Wedge's.

When you look at it in retrospect, your 1.90 Edelbrock heads are no smaller on a 331/347 as the stock heads are on a stock 302, so I say if you got em...use em.

here, do this: put the heads on, rum 'em. if you dont think that they are enough for your combo, spend the afternoon swapping heads out.

BUT, maybe you can find someone on a site (this one, corral, etc etc) that might be looking to sell a set of TFS heads or something along those lines and resell your heads, and come out wtih a $100 hit on the heads.

302 parts make 302 power. eddy performers belong on a 302, not a 331/347 at least not in stock form. either have them stage 3 ported to flow 300cfm @ .600 lift or sell them and go AFR or TFS or vic Jr.

304billet - That isn't the case all the time, if you have cam for the extra cubes, you will pull in more air. There have been several people that make much more power than most think when they install a "1.9 inch" intake valve on their stroker.

I WOULD NOT put AFR 205's on a stock block 331 or 347. You would never use the rpm capability and have a less useable powerband.

Also the 205's are 2 grand, the edelbrock's he has are much cheaper;)

Here is something I like to reflect on....

Remember:
More Flow Doesn't Always Equal More Power !!
But
Less Velocity Usually Equals Less Power !!!

Huge holes can sux!! Have Jay make those Brocks work with the right camshaft...
Just me......................................

Thumper