Are all remanufactured Motorcraft alternators created equal?

DSB88GT

Nov 6, 2016
I'm looking into replacing the alternator on my 88 GT. The car is is all stock with no added high drain electrical accessories, so I want to stick with the 75 amp alternator. My question is, are all remanufactured 75 amp Motorcraft alternators basically the same? I ask this because there is quite a price difference between the remanufactured units on LMR and Rock Auto.

• Sponsors(?)

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
And whats wrong with Oreilys or advanced? Life time guarantee.
Seriously, rockauto and lmr give stangnet members a discount. I've had good luck with all of them.

DSB88GT

Nov 6, 2016
I was just curious if there was a difference in the materials used to justify the substantial price difference.

DSB88GT

Nov 6, 2016
I'm looking into replacing the alternator on my 88 GT. The car is is all stock with no added high drain electrical accessories, so I want to stick with the 75 amp alternator. My question is, are all remanufactured 75 amp Motorcraft alternators basically the same? I ask this because there is quite a price difference between the remanufactured units on LMR and Rock Auto.
What is the rockauto discount code?

Blown88GT

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1999
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
If you were local, I would give you my original 2G for free.
I would only replace the 2G with another 2G if you never use the headlights or fog lights or the heat/defrost fan.
It was also known as the Ford Fire Starter because of the marginal design of the power connector which melted & caught fire.
There should have been a recall.
Upgrade to the 3G, it's almost plug n' play.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/3g-alternator-fox-upgrade.18/

Alley Oop

Mar 29, 2017
West Coast of Canada
I bought a rebuilt alternator for my 1991 Merc wagon (5 L). It was not a good experience. Go new or with
an outfit that has a reputation for standing behind their product.

DSB88GT

Nov 6, 2016
If you were local, I would give you my original 2G for free.
I would only replace the 2G with another 2G if you never use the headlights or fog lights or the heat/defrost fan.
It was also known as the Ford Fire Starter because of the marginal design of the power connector which melted & caught fire.
There should have been a recall.
Upgrade to the 3G, it's almost plug n' play.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/3g-alternator-fox-upgrade.18/
95% of the time it's daylight and the windows are down. Not too worried about the firestarter getting me!

DSB88GT

Nov 6, 2016
I bought a rebuilt alternator for my 1991 Merc wagon (5 L). It was not a good experience. Go new or with
an outfit that has a reputation for standing behind their product.
What brand alternator was yours? I'm going with Motorcraft, hence my question if all Motorcraft alternators were created equal.

Alley Oop

Mar 29, 2017
West Coast of Canada
What brand alternator was yours? I'm going with Motorcraft, hence my question if all Motorcraft alternators were created equal.
Can't remember what brand alternator. It was rebuilt by a small, one owner shop many years ago. I used to support local, small businesses, nowadays I only support those that have proven themselves to be reliable. I would go with Motorcraft, but make sure the retailer is going to replace it should there be a problem.

DSB88GT

Nov 6, 2016
The Motorcrafts have a 2 year warranty, so I'm hoping I can just take it back within that timeframe.

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
It was not the alternator that was the problem, as stated by @Blown88GT it was the plug in connector that caught fire, I was sitting at a stop light in the day time with nothing but the engine idling when mine started, I pulled the battery cable off, unplugged the melted connector and drove home. Change the connector.

Reactions: DSB88GT