Are dumps illegal in anyway?

Twista

May 7, 2004
@ the z00 in chicago
I've always wanted some produmps from MAC, but since i dont have cats anymore it would be a problem. How would this work at emissions? They check my car by computer, but if theres no tail pipes than they would most likely look under my car to check what the hell is going on. Of course i would have my mac catted H on, but would it be an auto fail b/c i dont have tailpipes.

Also, what do cops think about dumps?

I do own mac flowpaths so it would a easy re-weld on with turn downs.

• Sponsors (?)

in most states the exhaust has to exit from under the car somewhere behind the front doors..but each state is different. best idea is to check with an inspection tech. and our cars seem to me to be quieter with dumps than with pipes exiting the car.

in most states the exhaust has to exit from under the car somewhere behind the front doors..but each state is different. best idea is to check with an inspection tech. and our cars seem to me to be quieter with dumps than with pipes exiting the car.

I always just want that throaty ass itching sound dumps give.

sounds sick:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/pro+dumps/0/508df7be-10a7-45ba-b560-8d1d918bde2d.htm
I know thats a 5.0, but it has to be similar on a 4.6. I know not on a stock one like mine, but if i ever get to engine mods (more air) than dumps would sound kick ass.

i had them on my car and had an off duty state cop pull up next to me with his friend in the car and gave me a thumbs up. I think they are illegal in CT though, because they have to exit from the rear of the car. Side exhaust if not from the factory is illegal in this crappy a$$ state.

I believe that technically it is ilegal to modify the exhaust system in any way in all 50 states. But some states/cities enforce less than others. For example here in Indianer you can run anything you want as loud as you want.

I took the tailpipes off of my Mac catback for a while, so that it was dumped right over the axle, and it sounded AWESOME. It was nice, because I could just simply bolt my tailpipes back on whenever I wanted. I was looking for a v6 bumper for a while because I was planning on leaving it dumped, as I liked how it sounded that much. NEVER had a problem here in Michigan, but we don't have any sort of emissions testing, or inspection.

im a TX state safety/emissions inspector and in most states it is illegal to dump the exhaust under the vehicle. its a lesser known law. in TX, the law says the exhaust must dump behind the rear axle. im pretty sure all states are similiar, exhaust needs to dump outside the vehicle. although, most enforcement is lax on this law. the bigger one is a lack of cats. thats the one you'll get busted on first. although, ive been pulled over at least 5 times w/o cats and dumped exhaust and not one cot has even mentioned my exhaust being too loud, let alone no cats or dumped exhaust. i think you'll be ok, unless you live in cali....

SC it plain doesnt matter.. i used to get in all kinds of trouble with how loud my cars were.. we dont have emmisions or inspections either so its not that big of a deal

I have my flows dumped. and noone cares. I even had a local exhaust shop do it for me because i was driving and one of my tips just fell off. And i also see alot of ppl with no catback just factory cats. and the cops here really don't care. But thats in a smaller town in texas. But love the sound it gave my flows.

Its illegal in all States but if you State doesn't enforce it then go for it...i would get hammered for it here in NJ.

i'm not sure about that. If theres no inspection then how could they have rules on cars.. other then driving around with the air bags deployed, i dont think theres much of anything here that could mark you as illegal lol

Illegal in cali (pretty much everything is though).

but if youre already pretty much illegal by having no cats, i think adding dumps isnt going to hurt you much.

alot of people do it here, especially with turbo cars. they put a dump after the downpipe before the cats and run it usually during a race, otherwise during normal driving the exhaust is stock. however its still illegal to have, and they cant smog or pass inspection with the dump installed, even though its closed and routed through the stock exhaust.

i'm not sure about that. If theres no inspection then how could they have rules on cars.. other then driving around with the air bags deployed, i dont think theres much of anything here that could mark you as illegal lol

Exhaust/Emissions are Federal regulations but some States claim they are too poor to do the propper testing and don't enforce the federal emissions laws so they just do visual inspections and some don't enforce those either.