Are turbos legal in Calif

• Sponsors (?)

I'm putting together a sportman 347 stroker for my 91 mustang. I was going to hook up a stage 1 kit from HP Performance, or Turbo Technology Inc. I've read every magazine, gone on everyone of there webs and can't find anything on them. I wanted to know before I call these places.

I believe InCon had (yep, past tense) a smog legal kit, but they are out of business now. Maybe you can pick one up off of Ebay. I too wanted to turbo my car, but w/ no legal NEW kits, I decided to just supercharge it.

HPs kits are not smog legal. I already called them :D They told me they can pass the sniffer part, but of course, not the visual.

runningmole said:
I believe InCon had (yep, past tense) a smog legal kit, but they are out of business now. Maybe you can pick one up off of Ebay. I took wanted to turbo my car, but w/ no legal NEW kits, I decided to just supercharge it.

HPs kits are not smog legal. I already called them :D They told me they can pass the sniffer part, but of course, not the visual.

This is correct. Old INCON turbo kits are CARB legal in California, but hard to find.

Thanks guys for your info. I wanted a turbo set up so bad too. They come with so many extra things like MAF,fuel Injectors,headers,fuel pump. I'll look into a Vortech set up now. By the way, I just got my ass kicked by a stroked SS Camaro. Thats the last time thats going to happen once I get my car set the way I want it. :nonono:

stroker50 said:
I'll look into a Vortech set up now. By the way, I just got my ass kicked by a stroked SS Camaro. Thats the last time thats going to happen once I get my car set the way I want it. :nonono:

Have you looked into the KenneBell Twin Screw Supercharger? Don't take it the wrong way, all supercharged Stangs are :nice: but you get full boost at 3000 rpm with the KB. The centrifugal type supercharger (ie. Vortech, Powerdyne......) need a higher rpm to develope boost (5500-6000 rpm)
If you want "Get up and Go" (no pun intended) the Twin Screw Supercharger is the way to go..........and YES......... :rlaugh: You'll be kicking a$$ :hail2:

Good Luck :flag:

My turbo is... :banana:

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 87