Attn: people w/Foxes and crappy seatbelts..?

oxwhite03vert

Nov 10, 2004
I know that there's a ton if us out there with Fox body Mustangs and non-working seatbelts. I have browsed every forum looking for a simple fix - preferably the use of some SN95 or newer seatbelts since they seem to be easier to find. I'm hesitant on spending any money at the junkyard for fear that I'll be in the same situation this time next year. Can I just bolt a set from a newer Mustang into my 87 with a little modification? Any help, especially pictures, would be great!!

Thanks
Brian

• Sponsors (?)

oxwhite03vert said:
I know that there's a ton if us out there with Fox body Mustangs and non-working seatbelts. I have browsed every forum looking for a simple fix - preferably the use of some SN95 or newer seatbelts since they seem to be easier to find. I'm hesitant on spending any money at the junkyard for fear that I'll be in the same situation this time next year. Can I just bolt a set from a newer Mustang into my 87 with a little modification? Any help, especially pictures, would be great!!

Thanks
Brian

I'm not really sure about non-working seatbelts?? :shrug: I've never heard about foxes having crappy seat-belts.

Keep in mind that each body style has a different seatbelt. The brackets around the seatbelt spool are different but that is not the problem. Convertibles have shorter seatbelts since they don't have to connect to an A-pillar. I'm not sure if the notchback and hatchback seatbelts can be interswapped, but I do know that on each seatbelt spool it says what application it's for.

I remember reading about someone that took theirs apart and rewound it so they would retract better, but I never bothered with mine since I swapped to a set of black belts from a 90 model that work great. One guy on here, or on Corral also swapped in some from a SN95 into his fox. He had to bend the mounting bracket and adjust the tilt of the belts where they mount, but he was able to get the SN95 belts to work for him. If I get a chance, I might take my old ones apart and see if anything can be done to fix them.

Mine both stay clipped and are tight at first but then as youre driving along they get looser and looser. You have to give them a tug to get them to retract slightly tighter. ANd they definitely dont lock up when youre braking.

When I had the panels out of this car I spent some time really cleaning everything I could see in the seatbelt mechanism, as well as th button in the doorjamb. WhenI put them back together -- they both seem to work well. I think that button in the doojamb is probably a common cause of problems.

i got the same problem. Does any 1 else have the cracked plastic pieces around the door handles on the inside. There cracked by the screws both broke off. I seen it on another stang 2 along with the ashtray door :nice:

The ones in my '92 do the same. I never noticed until now because I never used the seatbelts the first 11 years I had the car..they are not required by law in my state. I just started getting myself in the habit of using mine now because I'm getting older now, and I realize I probably should have been wearing it all these years. Since I never used mine over all that time, I think I can rule out simple wear and tear as the reason they don't retract without "help"...

The driver's side on my 86 went out on me and I bought some from a 93 I think off of ebay and the rears definitely will not fit and I had to modify the fronts slightly to make them work. The seatbelts are pretty year specific, so be careful. cruise ebay. There are always tons for sale on there. you all might get lucky and find the color and year you want.