autolite carb query

65kiwi

Nov 7, 2008
just bought an autolite 4100 4 barrel carb and the only numbers i can find on it are 6S C and also 1.08 inside a circle.I am restoring an a 1965 a code and want to be sure if it will work. I looked on the mustangtek site and the nearest i can find is for a thunderbird ( 6S A ) but i thought they didnt have 289 engines?

• Sponsors (?)

It'll work, it's a 480 cfm carb. The 1.08 tells you that. It's the yenturi diameter. Only other size was 1.12 and that was a 600 cfm.

actually there was another size, the ultra-rare 2 year only (85-59) 1.19 venturi carb that was only available on one mercury engine the hi compression 430 IIRC.

i've been searching for one of those i can afford forever but every time one comes up for sale i don't have the cash to buy it. supposedly it flows between 650 and 670 cfm which would be just perfect for my planned long rod roller 351w. one of these days i'll find one and it will be the crown jewel of my engine bay :D :nice:

At this point in history, the 58 Merc would be the last thing I'd expect to find that particular carb on. If there were such an animal, it's possible it was past into the carb rebuilder's pipeline and could have ended up on any Ford or Merc since then. Sort of the same reason I check all the Granadas, Monarchs too for 9" rears. Never know where you'll find one.:nice:

At this point in history, the 58 Merc would be the last thing I'd expect to find that particular carb on. If there were such an animal, it's possible it was past into the carb rebuilder's pipeline and could have ended up on any Ford or Merc since then. Sort of the same reason I check all the Granadas, Monarchs too for 9" rears. Never know where you'll find one.:nice:

honesly i can't even remember when the last time i saw a 4100 on any car at the boneyard or sitting in a field was, seems like one of the first things to go is always the carb, most of the time attached to the engine. i do have a couple of 68-69 rancheros picked out for whenever i can finally get another project car, i'm just still hoping i'll be able to pull my folks 19' sea ray with it......it's either that or i start looking or a lightning, i'd really rather have a 'chero though.

my plan was to make a nice daily driver out of the 'chero by gutting my town car and swapping the engine and trans over to the ranchero. if i'm going to have any hope of pulling that boat with it i'm gonna have to stroke that little 5.0 and convert it to HO specs and mass air too. i'm really hoping i can away with a 327/331 stroker kit, some gt-40-p heads and an alphabet cam, a shift kit in the AOD and some 3.50-3.70 gears in the rear.

If it is a "6S C" it is a California Emissions carb for a 390cu Thunderbird.

Some say they work, others say they don't. I have seen people posted that they have run them, both with and without problems. The reason why some say they don't work is that they were designed to flow for a larger displacement engine (the 390). I do not know if they are actually any different from the small block 1.08 carb, but the claim is that they are very different.

Given that it is a non-Mustang numbered Carb, I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

honesly i can't even remember when the last time i saw a 4100 on any car at the boneyard or sitting in a field was, seems like one of the first things to go is always the carb, most of the time attached to the engine. i do have a couple of 68-69 rancheros picked out for whenever i can finally get another project car, i'm just still hoping i'll be able to pull my folks 19' sea ray with it......it's either that or i start looking or a lightning, i'd really rather have a 'chero though.

my plan was to make a nice daily driver out of the 'chero by gutting my town car and swapping the engine and trans over to the ranchero. if i'm going to have any hope of pulling that boat with it i'm gonna have to stroke that little 5.0 and convert it to HO specs and mass air too. i'm really hoping i can away with a 327/331 stroker kit, some gt-40-p heads and an alphabet cam, a shift kit in the AOD and some 3.50-3.70 gears in the rear.

For a 68-69 Ranchero to tow with , I'd go with a roller 351W and a set of mild heads like GT40's cammed with either an HO or the F4TE roller (either improved with with 1.7 Cobra rockers) a 351 roller would come with. Seems like I've heard of someone that opens up Autolite carbs to boost the cfm ratings, but can't recall where I heard it.

For a 68-69 Ranchero to tow with , I'd go with a roller 351W and a set of mild heads like GT40's cammed with either an HO or the F4TE roller (either improved with with 1.7 Cobra rockers) a 351 roller would come with. Seems like I've heard of someone that opens up Autolite carbs to boost the cfm ratings, but can't recall where I heard it.

i'd rather use what i already have which is a stock 70k mile 5.0 from my 86 town car. i would be ok with adding a 327/331 stroker kit and converting to HO specs but i don't really want to bother with trying hunt down another 351w. plus i would ultimately like the thing to get decent mileage too, another reason i would like to use my existing 5.0 stuff and a 'chero vs just buying an early model Lightning.

however if i can't figure out a way to make this 5.0 and aod i have already work in a 'chero and be capable of pulling the boat, cheaply BTW, and reliable/econimical enough to be a DD then i'll just get a Lightning instead. my only problem with the Lightning is fuel mileage.....it sucks!!!!!