Autometer Gauge cage problem

HyPer-50

Jun 26, 2003
Woodstock, GA
I got the dual gauge cage that goes in place of the middle vents, with the 2 small vents on the sides. And everything works great, except the face plate on the cage doesn't sit flush with the dash. The dash is curved and the faceplate is perfectly flat. Anyone else had a problem with this or did I install it wrong? I'm probably going to take it out soon and see if I can figure it out, just figured I'd see if anyone else had any advice. Thanks much. By the way... This is in a 91 GT.

• Sponsors (?)

Mine is like that too,It's not bad though.
784000_22_full.jpg

bout the same as yours. it's not very noticable but I just figured Autometer would of made it so it fits flush with dash lol. My friend has another brand gauge cage, not sure what it is cause it doesn't say anything, but his sits flush.

A friend of mine on the board (mansonozz) and I had this discussion a while back about how poorly the gauge cage blends with the interior. This is the solution I came up with for him:

instruvent1.jpg

I'm surprised no one has made something similar yet, as it would be a nicer looking addition to the dash.

Dan95-5.0 said:
thats sick man. great work.

is that like a mesh for the air to vent through on the sides?

Thanks. Dave's car is worth the hard work, as he's just as passionate about his car as I am my own (probably more so).

It is a metal speaker grill material with a tight mesh that I formed to the radius of the panel and attached to the back side of it. The body of the panel is fiberglass and the gauge rings are cut down versions of the gauge pods I sell for the newer stangs.

Here's a few other pics, including some of the build up so I could keep Dave up to date as it progressed:

gaugecagedyed_004.jpg

gaugecage_008.jpg

gaugecage_005.jpg

Myke86GT said:
How did you mount that???

It's a secret... :p

Not really, what the photos don't show was the stock a/c vent assembly I modified and mounted the gauge plate to with a plastic welding compound from Devcon. If you want plastic glued forever with the strength of iron, get a tube of this from autozone, etc.

The stock vent collector snaps in place and keeps the panel firmly mounted with no visible screws, something I'm weird about.

Looks really nice Alan. Does anyone think that it would be possible to bend the faceplate? I'm not too good at these kinds of things, it'd probably snap wouldn't it? I mean, my car isn't a show car... or anything like it. It's just really suprising that Autometer would release a part that doesn't sit flush with the dash.. oh well lol.

nice work on the custom cage.. i really like the way mine looks personally, and everyone i have showed it to said it looks like it belongs. i thought about modifing the A/C vent but i am not that good at fiberglass.

heres mine
500411_107_full.jpg

500411_109_full.jpg