Avoid the Diablosport for the 05 +

• Sponsors (?)

Do this, tell the ford dealer that you were attempting to use a handheld device to be able to read CEL's from your car if needed. Follow up by saying that you wanted to make sure that the device worked, and ever since you plugged it in your car has been in fail safe mode. I'd ask to speak to a technician rather than a service manager, they'll be more understanding. Don't even mention your warranty, just see if they will fix it. If they say no, or give you ****, there are plenty of other ford dealerships. Your warranty is applicable nationwide, use that to your advantage. The dealer i use is willing to install Nitrous, blowers etc all under warranty so.. you might get lucky :)

That sucks. I wonder what happened to make the Predator mess up like that. I've tuned my car and changed settings a bunch of times with my Predator, and it's never given me any issues. I've also reset to the factory tune without issue.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here knows how PCM flashing works. I always assumed that you weren't so much "loading files" into the computer, as you were bumping and tweaking the settings (this is what I've done myself, with the Predator, when I adjusted for my rear-gears and AM rims(bigger than stock)).

As for warranty, if you have decent dealership nearby, you might find they'll help you out. Fritts Ford in Corona, CA, did a bunch of work for me which, though not related to any mods on my car, they could've gotten anal on me and refused to do. Instead, they got my car fixed up and sent me happily on my way.

There was a post not too long ago about the trouble people had with taking the car to the dealership with a custom tune and the service dept updating the car without knowing there was a custom tune on the car. The guy who posted had similar problems and I don't remember how he fixed it but if you do a search you might find the answer to your problems Good Luck

When you get your Predator back, make sure that it's designed for use on the 05/06 Mustang GT(U7140), and not the one for the 07(U7145). They use different files.

Did the Predator automatically back up the stock tune when it was initially plugged into your car's OBD II port?
If it did, then check which tune is currently loaded in your car's ECM with the Predator.
If it's a 'DiabloSport' tune, then it's designed for use with the stock air intake, and your BBK CAI probably caused the engine to run too lean with that tune.
Reload the stock tune into the ECM, and look for a 'Custom Tunes' section on your Predator. If there is no 'Custom Tunes' section, then your Predator doen not have any tunes that are designed for your BBK CAI.

There was a post not too long ago about the trouble people had with taking the car to the dealership with a custom tune and the service dept updating the car without knowing there was a custom tune on the car.
I've heard this too.
Question: Even if the dealership did this, couldn't you put the old stock tune back with your tuner, then reinstall the custom tune?
Or does the tuner need a "free spot" to put the updated tune the dealership put on, thereby making this impossible?
Oh, and I've had no problems with my Predator, although it was a package deal with a C&L CAI.
Sorry to hear of your problems.

Humboldt Stang said:
I've heard this too.
Question: Even if the dealership did this, couldn't you put the old stock tune back with your tuner, then reinstall the custom tune?
Or does the tuner need a "free spot" to put the updated tune the dealership put on, thereby making this impossible?
Oh, and I've had no problems with my Predator, although it was a package deal with a C&L CAI.
Sorry to hear of your problems.
i dont know about the diablo tuner, but here is an explanation about it with SCT tuners.

Doug @ Bamachips said:
Hey guys, and gals....

This issue has come up a few times and I feel I need to make a post about it to help. Please feel free to pass this along to ANY forum you may post on that may have a 05-up Mustang both GT and V6..

I've had a few customers that even when they returned their vehicles to stock and went to the dealer and the dealer reflashed or updated their calibrations. When they got home they reloaded the tune into their vehicle and it wouldn't start. Also, when they tried to return the vehicle to stock it wouldn't start.

Explaination....

When the dealer updated their computer it then changed the Calibration code inside the PCM. Unlike 04 and earlier models the X-calibrator didn't see this as a new vehicle and simply deleted the tune that the dealer installed and wrote the old program on the PCM. This old tune doesn't have the same settings and this causes the car not to start, to put it in simple terms.

Now for the bad part, being that it deleted the tune file that the dealer has installed it wont start. Returning the vehicle to stock doesn't work either because all you are doing is returning it to the factory program from the intial tune.

In other words, the dealer would have to reflash the new code into the PCM again.

Now, Prevention.....

The first thing you need to do when you get your X-calibrator in is to goto " Read DTC menu" and then scroll down to " Read Strategy" and read this information from your car. Then write this down somewhere secure, like inside the X-calibrator box.

Then, if you have to take your car in for service first check your strategy by doing the above after returning it to stock. Take it in for service and when you get the car back BEFORE uploading a tune Read the strategy again and compare it to the one you had before taking it in for service.

If they match then simply install the tunes and drive away happy.

If they do not match then DO NOT install the tuner but rather contact your SCT dealer and give them the new Strategy code and get some new tunes for your new code.

Every dealer CAN email these to you, not every dealer WILL email these to you.

On 05's I've not had any problems with this because the main codes for the 05's haven't truly been updated. This has truly began with the 06's.

Below are a few Strategy codes and the Calibration codes for which they stand for.....

Strategy = Calibration

FBNF1G3 = TJF1

FBNE0G5 = GYX1

FBLF152 = VDX1

FBLF1G2 = SRV0 Which is the one that VDX1 updates to.

Just let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any help. Like I said please pass this along to any forums you know, this information can help alot of people.

Thanks, Doug

I have used my Diablosport Predator on my 05 with great results while N/A.
I have switched to SCT ony because I purchased A Saleen S/C with JDM Engineering upgrades. I Have never had a problem removing the Diablosport tune. All I did was go to performance tune and hit original backup. Once that was restored I installed the SCT tune.I also have a backup of my factory file on my 2 laptops just in case something goes wrong.

313Speed said:
Just a FYI on my experience. First off, I have used Diablosport on my 03 Cobra and was happy with the results. But I will not purchase another Diablosport again after this.

My ride is a 2006 GT with the BBK CAI and axle backs. The car is new and drove for 3000 miles without problems. As soon as I put on the diablosport, the car went lean and went to limp mode. Now, the manual says a CAI is recommended, and I checked with Brothers Performance, who sold me both items, and they said the tuner was set up for a CAI. After a week of trying to get the car to run right, I returned the factory tune and decided ot dyno tune with the SCT.

I sent the Diablosport back and took a day off for the tune. I get to the dyno and they tell me that the diablo tune is still on there PCM and they cannot remove it. So Brothers now has to send me the part back... I'm out $40 so far on shipping. I called diablosport and went over the issue. They said there is no way for the tune to be left on the car... ok, but mine is, what do I do?

There final answer... take it to Ford and get it reflashed. I'm fairly sure that will pretty much void my new cars warrenty and cost me a ton. The tech rep at diablosport said there was no way there program could cause this problem. OK, I have Performance Solutions, a local reputable dyno tuner telling me the opposite. Diablosport also confirmed that I placed the factory tune back on the car.

Short version. I'm screwed, diablosport caused it and I'm stuck with a brand new stang w/o warranty coverage on the issue. I'd hope it's an isolated issue, but Diablosport does not seemed concerned with the damage. They also made it a point to read me there disclaimer in the manual to absolve themselves of a faulty product.

Hopefully we can figure something out when I make the move to SCT.

Did Predator make units or tunes for any CAI other than C&L? I would check first with who ever sold you the Predator and claimed it was "set up for the CAI". I know the BBK claims no performance tune is needed, but the Predator and it's performance tunes were not created with the BBK in mind. So whatever compensation BBK is expecting the "stock" computer to make may not be happening with the Predator canned tune that is not expecting a BBK intake.

Check page d of the Predator manual
http://diablosport.com/downloads/predator/manual_U7140.pdf

I have used my Predator for over 1.5 years. I have a tune from DTP for my Predator to match my JLT intake. I have updated the firware in the Predator several times over the past year (requiring the computer be returned to stock tune), I have uploaded multiple tunees from DTP as the JLT went through its developement (JLT, JLT w/insert, JLTII), and I have never had an issue with the Predator. When you get the unit back double check the steps of the process before proceeding. Confirm which tune was written to the car before removing the unit.

Not saying you may not have experienced a glitch, but definately nothing someone should issue a blanket statement of "Avoid the Diablosport for the 05+".

This is funny. You have something quirky with your tune. You'd could get the same issue with SCT. As well, I don't know a whole lot of people with a BBK CAI...or anyone for that matter. That CAI could (NOTICE I said Could) flow like crap and be making the MAF go haywire. Who knows without benchflowing it. I can say this much...Diablosport has the VAST majority of the fastest S197 mustangs running. I'm well beyond 700rwhp w/o divulging exact numbers with Diablosport tuning. As well, a particular shop will downplay a product if they are not comfortable with it or even a dealer for it. Either tool allows a tuner to make changes within so many parameters. Diablo just has it figured out to get the most within those parameters. You just need to get a Diablo tuner to tune your particular intake...Or go sell it, loose money, buy SCT and go thru the same ordeal. It's going to need to be tuned for that CAI regardless.
I just think it's funny when people start bashing without having all their facts in order or even ask simple questions first...especially on multiple forums.

66_stang said:
Do this, tell the ford dealer that you were attempting to use a handheld device to be able to read CEL's from your car if needed. Follow up by saying that you wanted to make sure that the device worked, and ever since you plugged it in your car has been in fail safe mode. I'd ask to speak to a technician rather than a service manager, they'll be more understanding. Don't even mention your warranty, just see if they will fix it. If they say no, or give you ****, there are plenty of other ford dealerships. Your warranty is applicable nationwide, use that to your advantage. The dealer i use is willing to install Nitrous, blowers etc all under warranty so.. you might get lucky :)

Good advice!

Did you check with the Diablo tech guys to see if there is an updated tune for your particular CAI. I used Diablo for 2 years with no issues. I am now using SCT due to the X-Charger mod.