Ball and Socket header hardware?

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Whats everyone using for their nuts, bolts, washers on their ball and socket header hardware?
The studs that came with my FRPP headers ( used ) had a locking collared nut, with a large, 1" OD washer on it? The washer looked " add on" by the previous owner...
Wonder if just a good collared nut thats serrated would be enough???
Whats everyone using here??

• Sponsors (?)

Here are some pics, one without the included washers... Pay no attention to the nuts, I had to cut them off the studs.
DSCF1403.JPG

DSCF1402.JPG
DSCF1404.JPG

Dorman 03144 is the replacement for the N800064-S2 studs ford racing used on some of the headers, ford discontinued them not too long ago. The come in a pack of 2. Pretty much any 7/16- 14 studs will work. I know Lowes used to carry some at as I've used to grab them there when I bought used headers and h pipes years ago.

Some of the ford headers also had m12 thread at the flange so Dorman 03129 kit can work on those. Best to chase the threads and see what it is before you order.

Reactions: 1 users
Thats interesting about using brass nuts....

I took the studs down to the hardware store and they are 7/16-14.... Thanks for the lead on the Dorman #.. All I was coming up with googling was BBK metric studs..... I cut the nuts off to reuse the existing studs and they look to be in good shape...
Thanks both of you

Dorman 03144 is the replacement for the N800064-S2 studs ford racing used on some of the headers, ford discontinued them not too long ago. The come in a pack of 2. Pretty much any 7/16- 14 studs will work. I know Lowes used to carry some at as I've used to grab them there when I bought used headers and h pipes years ago.

Some of the ford headers also had m12 thread at the flange so Dorman 03129 kit can work on those. Best to chase the threads and see what it is before you order.
Both of the numbers you gave me show up as metric
03135 comes up as the correct 7/16-14... This part does have welded nuts to help install the studs, unlike the stock part
Thanks again..

Reactions: 1 user
Dorman is very bad at listing specs of its parts.. Most parts stores still have them on the shelf in the help section. I buy them from home depot these days they offer free shipping lol.. But studs don't really matter since it comes with hardware you just need to know the thread and pitch of the flange on the header. 94 up they went metric and some of the frpp I've have where metric thread.

After messing with this, I used the allen head bolts on my 302 headers with a straight or ball end allen wrench as needed

Reactions: 1 user
I would hate to have to deal with rusted Allen heads. But working at dealers exhaust hardware rots to hell on a lot of cars, some to the point the nuts no longer a nut. Best method to remove those where an air hammer. Only sucks when the weld for the flange is also rotted, and falls breaks when your using the air hammer lol. Unfortunately did a bunch of those at Toyota with there lifetime replacement warrenty on some exhaust parts.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdwNUyblxEw