Basic Vortech S/C'ing questions...

bryan0

Jun 9, 2005
Bethel, CT
(I put this in the power adder forum, but got no response, so I'm putting it here.)

Ok, so if I bought this:
http://modularpowerhouse.com/product_info.php?cPath=55_57&products_id=99&osCsid=4da77241d098e1dac41929e82b2e5073

I would be good to go? Just need a dyno tune? Why is this kit about $800 cheaper than most others on the internet? Is it not including some vital part?

Also...
If (down the road) I wanted to get a blow-off (vent to atmosphere) valve, would this be possible with this blower?

Finally, I would really like to have it loud, but I don't want my ears to ring because of the whistle. Are straight cut gears really that loud?

• Sponsors (?)

Forget the tunes that come with the kits.....waste of money. The vehicle is gonna react differently to different altitudes so you're better off having it tuned on the dyno where you live. That said it was a tuner kit othe first link you posted. Tuner kits generally have no fuel system upgrades but that says it comes with injectors and pump. I would double check with on that to see if you actually get them.

I would also look at the Paxton NOVI2000 kit. That is an awesome blower as well as the intercooled Pro-Charger P1SC.

bryan0 said:
Ok, but why should I spend $800 more on that kit when I can drive to the dyno and have it tuned for much less?
because with that kit you get EVERYTHING. an SCT X-Cal2 ($400) with dead-on tunes so there is no need to pay for a dyno tune (whats the going rate for a good dyno tune?). you also get a Focus Fuel Pump, MAF ($200), IAT sensor and spark plugs. im sure if you add up the plugs, IAT sensor and cost of a dyno tune you will find out where that extra $200 goes. MPH has a lot of cars running those kits and has never lost an engine with that tune. its all in the tune man. I was leaning towards the tuner kit too, but after talking to people and asking a bunch of questions, I was convinced the Mongoose kit is the way to go. but, Im going with the Novi 2000 ;)

its all up to you man, but after all the research I did, Im going with the Mongoose kit. good luck :nice:

Ive been looking at that same kit.

My question was, what does an intercooler/aftercooler do and is it a good thing to have, because this kit doesnt seem like it comes with one and most all other kits do. What are the advantages of having one and is it neccessary?:shrug:

spederman said:
Ive been looking at that same kit.

My question was, what does an intercooler/aftercooler do and is it a good thing to have, because this kit doesnt seem like it comes with one and most all other kits do. What are the advantages of having one and is it neccessary?:shrug:

and intercooler/aftercooler cools down the air before it goes in the engine. this allows the car to run more timing and make more power. it's not necessary but helps out. personally, i would avoid the aftercooler and go for an intercooler. i don't have an intercooler yet and i'm running 10psi no problem. it's all in the tune.

bryan0 said:
Ok, so if I bought this:
http://modularpowerhouse.com/product_info.php?cPath=55_57&products_id=99&osCsid=4da77241d098e1dac41929e82b2e5073

I would be good to go? Just need a dyno tune? Why is this kit about $800 cheaper than most others on the internet? Is it not including some vital part?

i suggest calling MPH and have them upgrade it to the mongoose kit. it will be well worth the extra $800.

bryan0 said:
(Also...
If (down the road) I wanted to get a blow-off (vent to atmosphere) valve, would this be possible with this blower?

yes it's possible. you'd need to get a blow-thru style MAF and put the blow-off valve before the MAF.

bryan0 said:
Finally, I would really like to have it loud, but I don't want my ears to ring because of the whistle. Are straight cut gears really that loud?

the SQ is quiet, the S is loud. i've had both. the S won't hurt your ears, but it got real annoying to me. it is very loud.