Battery dies every other day if car is not started daily

Boosted05GT

Jan 23, 2011
El Paso, Texas
I have swapped and upgraded my alternator twice, I have upgraded to a yellow top battery and I have had both tested numerous times. Yet, my battery dies every other day if I do not start the car daily. Some might contribute this to winter cold weather but I am in El Paso, Texas and our winter consists 62 degree weather so its not that cold to drain the battery. Especially since The car is from Kentucky and has been through 7 degree weather and had started just fine. This has been a issue for the past month, anyone have any ideas what could be pulling power from my battery?

• Sponsors (?)

Need to find a way to find the power leak.
First unhook the battery and test it out of the car, (if you have another car to drive), each day and see how much juice it retains. If it drains outside the car (not on a concrete floor, but on a piece of wood or shelf off the floor) you got a bad battery, otherwise you have a power leak. If this continues, however, the battery can go bad.
Second, look for something that's remaining plugged in, or powered up after the car is off and/or locked. Frayed wires, stuck switches, etc. can cause power leaks.
If you've done both already, I would take it to the shop and ask them to diag it. Since this is a new battery, I'd say there is some gadget that isn't getting turned off when the key is removed.

You might also look for a battery maintainer or tender, Wal-mart or places like that sell decent cheap ones. Look in areas around the batteries, or where Motorcycle or Lawnmower equipment are. You can plug that up and at least until you figure out the problem the battery will stay charged for when you need it.

There was a problem with the early 2005's related to the CD/ sound system. The CD player was constantly "seeking" a CD, and when it was not played (even if the system was "off") it would seek until the battery was runb out. About 2 days.

There was a recall on the CD players, and mine (2005 GT w/ 500 watt system) was replaced under warranty. Could be the same problem.

You could charge the batery up, then disconnect the CD (pull the fuse)- if it's fine in 2 days- that's the problem.

Get a multimeter that measures current. With the car off, disconnect the negative battery terminal and measure the current between the negative terminal and negative cable. It should be less than 100 mA. If it is less than 100 mA, your battery is the problem; it isn't holding a charge.

If the current draw is more than 100 mA, something is draining the battery. Leave the multimeter connected, and begin to pull fuses out of the fuse panel one by one until that current drops to where it's supposed to be. Whatever fuse causes the current to drop is the circuit that is causing the problems.