belt help needed!

montyd

Mar 13, 2006
i took my smog pump off and did the ford racing ac eliminator to move the power steering pump up. i cant get belt to fit. i dont want to have to run an idler pully in place of the smog pump if i can help it, the belt either isnt long enough or rubs itself by the water pump pulley. anyone ever had this problem or run this set up? any help would be great

• Sponsors (?)

when i deleted my smog pump i just used a shorter belt to bypass it. i had to change it like 8 different sizes before i got the right size! it ended up being like 78 or 79 inches and some change before it didnt rub and put enough resistance on the tensioner pulley to make it stick up and not rub

i did that too until i pulled the a/c pump off and moved the power steering pump up. all i have left is the crank, water pump, power steering and alternator left other than the tensioner.

i did that too until i pulled the a/c pump off and moved the power steering pump up. all i have left is the crank, water pump, power steering and alternator left other than the tensioner.

I have that same problem. For some reason I have alot of extra tension on my belt even after changing the tensioner, but what I did is I moved the top bolt on the alternator and moved the alt. up and put the bolt on the outside of the bracket and now it doesnt rub nomore!!!

You've got to run the belt slightly different when you ditch the smog

pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=1044213

Pic posted...look back at my first post

I wouldn't pay attention the the belt lenghts. You'll have to use string and measure and try out a few belts. Run it like the red belt shown, but the pulley it's looping around at te top right is your P/S pump since you have deleted the A/C

Reasn you gotta do this is because the belt will rub on itself at the alt.

i did the same thing when i did the same mod, i struggled to get a belt on, running it the same way as factory. a lot of screwing around but i could get one on, then within 2 days later it had stretched out enough it started rubbing on itself because of super tight clearance. then someone showed me that pic and i rerouted it that way and it was SO easy! do that and you should be fine. mine took a 71.5" belt IIRC, thats with no smog, FRPP a/c delete, and UD pullies