Best Course Of Action For Hole In The Floorpan On The Passenger Side?

Not a deal breaker, anything (mostly) can be fixed, just pat him on the back, hand him a beer (or whatever his favorite beverage is) and say thanks buddy, it will buy you some time to get a piece for it.
Now hide the duct tape before he gets any idea's about that top!:stick:

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I got home Thursday to a car with metal plates in it. My stepdad apparently was getting a welder to put plates in while I was looking for the floor pan :dammit:

oh well, I guess I can't do anything about it now but make sure it's water tight. I was hoping to keep this car for awhile but now who knows lmao

side note, the top on this thing is tearing all over the place
That's not necessarily a bad thing at all. It kind of depends on what was cut out and how things were welded back together. Any idea what gauge steel he used? The two biggest worries you might have are the brackets for the rear bolts on the front seat and the thickness of the metal.

Even matching the floorpans gauge isn't always the best. Here's a picture of my driver's side rear, notice the cracks in the floorboard.
IMG_2610.JPG
This wasn't caused by excessive acceleration from the PO (it's a V6), more like excessive double quarter pounders with cheese and large fries. I would recommend an extra plate in that area, if you already are replacing the pans. Just in case of an overly large in-law drops their full weight on your poor mustang. Take a look at these from LMR, I'll be putting them on both sides of my blue car.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-11135RP/79-93-Mustang-Floor-Pan-Reinforcement-Panel
Can you post a picture?

They look very close, i'm not sure of the dimensions though. Got to be a difference or you know LMR would sell them for the SN95's. Look at them here, you'll see some differences.
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0482.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Not a deal breaker, anything (mostly) can be fixed, just pat him on the back, hand him a beer (or whatever his favorite beverage is) and say thanks buddy, it will buy you some time to get a piece for it.
Now hide the duct tape before he gets any idea's about that top!:stick:

Heh. I already put duct tape on it cause it was raining and it would leak otherwise. I figured it has to be replaced anyway

That's not necessarily a bad thing at all. It kind of depends on what was cut out and how things were welded back together. Any idea what gauge steel he used? The two biggest worries you might have are the brackets for the rear bolts on the front seat and the thickness of the metal.

Even matching the floorpans gauge isn't always the best. Here's a picture of my driver's side rear, notice the cracks in the floorboard.
IMG_2610.JPG
This wasn't caused by excessive acceleration from the PO (it's a V6), more like excessive double quarter pounders with cheese and large fries. I would recommend an extra plate in that area, if you already are replacing the pans. Just in case of an overly large in-law drops their full weight on your poor mustang. Take a look at these from LMR, I'll be putting them on both sides of my blue car.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-11135RP/79-93-Mustang-Floor-Pan-Reinforcement-Panel
Can you post a picture?
That's the thing, they welded over it! All the cut off was the piece that was hanging off. I've tried explaining that rust is like metal's cancer but he thinks I'm over reacting.

It was a thick piece of steel they had as scrap at his job. I'm sure no one is gonna fall through now, I stomped on it and stood on it and it doesn't budge. Oh and they didn't touch the seat bolt piece since they deemed it fine i guess.

I mean, he "fixed" it cheap but I'm sure it's just going to rust again, probably worse.

Don't have to worry about in-laws since it's really tiny, my parents hate it haha

That's the thing, they welded over it! All the cut off was the piece that was hanging off. I've tried explaining that rust is like metal's cancer but he thinks I'm over reacting.

It was a thick piece of steel they had as scrap at his job. I'm sure no one is gonna fall through now, I stomped on it and stood on it and it doesn't budge. Oh and they didn't touch the seat bolt piece since they deemed it fine i guess.

I mean, he "fixed" it cheap but I'm sure it's just going to rust again, probably worse.

Don't have to worry about in-laws since it's really tiny, my parents hate it haha
Well....as long as the seat bolts in.....

You can cover up the rust areas with POR15. That'll stop its progress. Use a knotted wire wheel on a drill to knock off any scaling first.

I'm no body man, but I did stay at a holiday inn express once.
Don't you have to treat the rusted area with something that neutralizes it like ouspho (I sure thats not how it's spelled) before coating it? Or does the por15 take care of that?

I'm no body man, but I did stay at a holiday inn express once.
Don't you have to treat the rusted area with something that neutralizes it like ouspho (I sure thats not how it's spelled) before coating it? Or does the por15 take care of that?
You can just coat with POR15, it just seals it up. It won't allow moisture or oxygen through. Stops the whole chemical rust process.

Reactions: 1 user