Best ground for amp in trunk?

HuebyStang94

Aug 25, 2004
STL
Hey all,

I currently am setting up a amp + sub in the trunk. Is using the rear seat bracket (I flipped the rear seat down and found a bolt/bracket connection) adequate for a ground to a 700w mono amp???

Is there a better ground practice, or should I run it all the way up to the battery???

Thanks, Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Run it to the seat bracket, given that its a good ground (i.e. bare metal ) It's a waste of money to run it all the way from the trunk to the battery, (especially when your using good power wire)

One more thing......shirts are for work.

joekd said:
the worst thing you can do is run the ground all the way to your battery, you always want as short of a ground wire as possible

Actually running it back to the battery is very very good for it. You get the most solid ground possible.

2oo3gt said:
Actually running it back to the battery is very very good for it. You get the most solid ground possible.

that is incorrect...you want a short ground wire...how can one ground be more solid than another? if something is grounded, it is grounded..it is just a matter of how long the wire is, which will be how fast it will ground..

Actually, running the ground wire to the battery is about the WORST idea you can have. It may seem like a good concept, but in actuality, it's the 2nd noisiest place to put a ground, only better than grounding to the alternator. While you may not think of a ground as a noise issue, that is the main cause. You ALWAYS want to ground with it's own dedicated source (screw or bolt) directly to metal, the shortest distance possible on a raw metal surface (take a flathead screwdriver and scrape paint to bare metal before connection). By doing this, you will have an optimal ground.