best heads/intake combo?

My little street setup (ford E-cam & street heat intake) is getting a little old, I want to start collecting parts for a BIG H/C/I setup. I havent made any decisions yet, but I'm thinking about some AFR heads (which ones???), with a ported Edelbrock intake, and maybe a custom cam....

Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome! Help me out guys. I want big numbers.

-Craig

• Sponsors (?)

That says it all to me ;)

First thing you wanna do is get way more specific than .......
I want big numbers.

Really think about what you want from your car :D

Call Ed at FTI and discuss those specific goals with him :hail2:

You'll be good to go :)

Worked for me ;)
I got all I wanted :nice:
and then some more :banana:

Grady

well these cars don't have too too much potential n/a, so when I say big numbers, I just mean i want the MOST of what my car can give me. I think ive seen a 94/95 Cobra on here that made 320/350 with just H/C/I and supporting mods. I cant imagine anything bigger than that.

Thanks for the input.:)

apparently 94opalgt is putting down 299 rwhp and 319 rwtq with the combo in his sig ...

lightly ported tfs tw's, tfs track heat, 70mm tb, stock cam, tfs 1.7rr's, 80mm pro-m, 30# inj., 255 walbro fp, afm n/a power pipe, 1 5/8 equal shorties, 2 1/2 flowmaster american thunder, offroad h, b&m ripper shifter, 3.73's, 2 core fuidyne, msd pro billit w/crane hi-6a ingnition, a/c and smog removed and the usual pullies.

akron horsepower
sct tune
299.09 rwhp
319.08 rwtq

if that is possible with a stock cam, then you should be able to get close to 350 with a really well matched h/c/i and tune.

fwiw, i have a kenne-bell and some ported windsor senior heads i am selling. just some more options for ya

well these cars don't have too too much potential n/a, so when I say big numbers, I just mean i want the MOST of what my car can give me. I think ive seen a 94/95 Cobra on here that made 320/350 with just H/C/I and supporting mods. I cant imagine anything bigger than that.

Thanks for the input.:)

I guess you are talking about staying with the OEM block :shrug:

You can go beyond 350rwhp :nice:
but
it won't be all that streetable :notnice:
but hey
You will have your "Big Numbers" :banana:

A fellow by the name of GTJake did just what you may be talking about.

It was the typical AFR165, Edel, FTI combo with a bit more aggressive cam than most on here have used.

IIRC, he hit about 330rwhp with his efforts :shrug:

Most OEM or stock blocked after market h/c/i combos go around 300 give or take
and
The exceptional ones go to 315 to 320.

It is my firm belief you can get to or very close to 350rwhp ;)
but
the selection of parts is gonna have to be right on the money :nice:
and
the tune will need to be razer sharp :)

Grady

if it was me, i would go with the victor jr. heads and victor jr. intake with a pretty aggresive cam from FTI. you'll need the supporting hardware as well, like injectors, maf, TB. i would also switch to a fox body TB setup.

With the victors you will need to flycut the pistons if your on the stock bottom end.

On a stock bottom end you can go max 1.94 on the valve and then not wild on the cam before PTV issues.

A set of AFR 165's,custom cam, good intake with good tune should put you well into the 300's.

apparently 94opalgt is putting down 299 rwhp and 319 rwtq with the combo in his sig ...

lightly ported tfs tw's, tfs track heat, 70mm tb, stock cam, tfs 1.7rr's, 80mm pro-m, 30# inj., 255 walbro fp, afm n/a power pipe, 1 5/8 equal shorties, 2 1/2 flowmaster american thunder, offroad h, b&m ripper shifter, 3.73's, 2 core fuidyne, msd pro billit w/crane hi-6a ingnition, a/c and smog removed and the usual pullies.

akron horsepower
sct tune
299.09 rwhp
319.08 rwtq

if that is possible with a stock cam, then you should be able to get close to 350 with a really well matched h/c/i and tune.

fwiw, i have a kenne-bell and some ported windsor senior heads i am selling. just some more options for ya

dont know if you are doubting his numbers but if you are why do you bash someones elses numbers..just because you dont believe it doent mean that it is a lie...trust it makes those numbers

dont know if you are doubting his numbers but if you are why do you bash someones elses numbers..just because you dont believe it doent mean that it is a lie...trust it makes those numbers
the thread starter was asking about the best heads/intake out there. i told him about this one, because it is the best i have seen.

if i were doubting it, i'd call bs. did i call bs on this or any other thread? no. but if you have been on this or any other mustang enthusiasts sites for any period of time, you would have to agree that a combo that gets numbers like that with a stock cam is not the norm. my hat is off to 94opalgt.

greenstang: just how big do you want the numbers to be, and do you want to stay naturally aspirated?

thanks blackvert. i couldnt believe the #'s when it was all said and done, and even my tuner said he's never seen a stock cam car do that.

i didn't think you were bashing the #'s. i'm gonna throw a b-cam or a custom grind at it with some long tubes this winter and see what she does then.

a friend of mine put put the trickflow h/c/i kit on his 94 vert and it made 297 & 330. now, his car still has a/c, all smog stuff and converters still on the car. mine don't. and he has a mac cold air kit. i have an afm power pipe, which was good for 5rwhp if i remember correctly.

thanks blackvert. i couldnt believe the #'s when it was all said and done, and even my tuner said he's never seen a stock cam car do that.

i didn't think you were bashing the #'s. i'm gonna throw a b-cam or a custom grind at it with some long tubes this winter and see what she does then.

a friend of mine put put the trickflow h/c/i kit on his 94 vert and it made 297 & 330. now, his car still has a/c, all smog stuff and converters still on the car. mine don't. and he has a mac cold air kit. i have an afm power pipe, which was good for 5rwhp if i remember correctly.
:cheers:

please tell us more about the "lightly ported" part of your heads.

remember guys.....you cant go too big on the valves with a stock shortblock.

even arf 185's wont work unless you cut the pistons or get aftermarket ones.

AND, has anyone on here reached 350 rwhp with a h/c/i and stock block? i would like to know that combo!

lightly means smoothed the rough intake runner walls. didn't open them up, just smoothed them out. nothing done to combustion camber at all. no gasket match or anything of the sort. that said, what gets done to them this winter depends on mow much money i got :D

So, I assume you bought that KB back from the guy. How much you asking for it?

PS--Not trying to hijack this thread. Some here may be interested. (I am.)

$1750 for the blower itself with the 6# pulley, and it has another polished discharge that does not have the problem the other one had.

it was checked out, flushed, and re-sealed by 94twinscrew over on corral, who said it was good condition and ready to bolt on and go

Something to think about when you look at all these combos :)

We all know the average range of rwhp values an oem blocked, after market parts, h/c/i combo will put up on the rollers :D

To get that average ...........

You gotta have a high and a low ;)

I'm glad for you you're on the + side of that average :nice:

I've seen many cars over the years who have been at both extreme sides of the averages.

You could look at everything possible with cars like that and find no real reason for the extreme > or < outcome results.

On some motors ...
the ports line up a bit better
the clearances are a bit looser
the electronics a bit sharper
etc etc etc

The trans and rear end can be a bit more efficient as well

Always remember this about our Beloved Stangs!

It is after all ... a production built item with a range of tolerances ;)

Sometimes we benefit from those tolerances :)
Sometimes we don't :(

Grady