best mid pipe??

jlee6977

May 25, 2005
I have flowmaster 40's and im looking to change the stock h pipe, I wanted to know what you guys thought would be the best mid pipe to replace the stock h and also make exhaust note louder. I need catted and was thinking about going with a catted pro chamber.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Mac prochamer on my car. I am a huge fan of it. My car is not the loudest ( i have mac flowpath out the back), but the prochamber keeps the tone deeper than an x-pipe. I am not sure if i am correct in this, i couldn't find the article. Put i know either 5.0 mustang mag or muscle mustang and fast ford mag, had an article about mid pipes and the prochambers numbers was one of the best if not the best for performance.

Anyway Go for the Prochamber.

Most people are going to say that catted prochamber is about the same loudness of your stock hpipe. Im not sure about that since i dont have a catted prochamber.

What year is your ccar? If its a 96-98 than get a Mac catted H or BBK Catted H.

If its a 99-04 than get a MRT Catted H or Mac Catted H (MRT doesn't make a midpipe for the 96-98 GT's btw)

My personal opinion, its kind of a waste to change out midpipes only to go with another catted one.

Go no cats and keep the stock H laying around so you can swap it for emissions. The swap isnt hard the first time, only gets easier after that.

A Prochamber would sound great with Flows, as would an offroad H, even an X pipe if you like a different in your face agressive sound.

Im running a UPR X no cats with Mac Flowpaths. Everyone says "x pipe + chambered muffler = horrible", but ive changed alot of peoples minds.

Either way, if you want a deep classic muscle car tone, go with the Prochamber or H all the way. The X is something different.

I am running a MRT catted H-pipe with SLP LM-1s. Wouldn't have it any other way, and I personally would not want to have to change the midpipe every year in my driveway for state inspections. Since nobody visually inspects the exhaust anyway, at least where I have gone for inspections, why couldn't you leave a O/R midpipe on there during the inspection? The rear O2 sensors are turned off anyway, and the OBD inspection shouldn't reveal anything amiss I would think.

BTW I live in one of the strict emissions counties in TX

i guess i could go with an o/r pro chamber and if it doesnt pass emissions here just swap it out with the stock....i assumed it wouldnt pass with and o/r but it wont hurt to try..

best way around emissions: sign up on a local mustang forum, like Lone Star Stangs or DFW stangs etc... When your inspection comes due, make a thread asking members to PM you with a place to go to get your stang inspected since it has no cats. Someone will point you where to go :nice:

[size=-5]All comments and statements posted by Streetstang03 are entirely hypothetical. In no way do the above comments reflect the practices, beliefs or views of Streetstang03 or any other Texas Mustangers.[/size]

MRT catted h... I have had off road & catted x pipes & they sounded mean, but I didnt care for the high pitch tone they had. And the off road one was just too raspy for me. The MRT H was the exact sound I was going for since it gives you the deep, throaty, classic musclecar sound. I know the x pipes give you more power, but that was secondary to sounding good to me. Its only gonna give you about 5 horses anyway.

If your car has only bolt ons u will actually lose time at the track by going with an o/r mid pipe, I have cams and all the bolt ons and have tried an 0/r mid pipe, catted mid pipe and the stock mid pipe, and my stock pipe ran the fastest. So i just left it on till I supercharge the car. It also is alot quieter and maybe Im getting old but I kinda like it.