Best nitrous kit on a budget ...

Travis95gt

Aug 30, 2004
Hi there, I have a 95 Gt with gt40p heads, power products intake, long tubes and an H pipe etc... Mostly minor bolt ons. I wanted to put a nitrous system on and wonder what the easiest, most reasonably priced, recommended kit is ?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I've used both wet and dry so I guess I have some experience. I too was on a budget. You cant beat a cheap used NOS 5115 dry kit. Dont buy a new kit as they come with a standard orfice equivelent to a 42 jet I believe that is NOT removable. The older kits you could change out jetting to 'tune'. The dry kit was easier to install. If it weren't for my car running so damn lean i'd still have it. Im itchin to get another one, good thing I kept all the wiring in my car ;)

Compucar Wet Kit....picked up used but it does have a lifetime warranty on its solenoids no questions asked...SO when you buy a used kit for a 100 bucks and send the solenoids back for rebuilding...you now have basically a 100, plus shipping brand new nitrous kit...

Gearbanger 101 said:
Another vote for the NOS 5115 dry kit. :nice:

But to be fair, I've got no experience with the others.

I thrice it. I picked up my NOS dry kit for $150. It's all plug and play, no tuning required.

Kurt

http://100mphclub.com/b_pages/tutorials/zex.htm

Results in signature....

I recommend the Zex WET kit though... on word of advice other than the SEARCH feature - you should post what you want OUT of the nitrous. Cheap and ease of installation is only part of the equation. Zex may be a couple hundered higher than the others, but it checks bottle pressure. Mine flows well all the way to the end of the bottle where my friends that have NOS and CompuCar can tell when their bottle is half empty as performance drops.

Something to consider. Also Zex lets you change out the jets in seconds. (Timing is another story unless you have aftermarket ignition stuff)

I check my bottle pressure, it's called a nitrous pressure gauge. When I have less than 900 psi, I turn the bottle warmer on. I would never buy a ZEX kit, I've heard some horror stories about those things.

Kurt

revhead347 said:
I check my bottle pressure, it's called a nitrous pressure gauge. When I have less than 900 psi, I turn the bottle warmer on. I would never buy a ZEX kit, I've heard some horror stories about those things.

Kurt

Your budget setup price is going up. In car guage to check pressure while your driving the car, plus the bottle warmer gets your price on up there.

I have the basic kit, no purge, no warmer, no guage, no nothing. Can't get much easier and cheap than that. A bottle warmer would probably help, but my times are consistant as hell. On a full bottle or a near empty one. I know of 6 guys running Zex and 10 or more running other brands. 3 guys SWITCHED to Zex after seeing the other 3 of us using it.

I've read some Zex horror stories too. Like the idiot that drilled a hole in the front of his motor and sprayed nitrous straight on his cam til it froze it and it broke. :rolleyes:

I've yet to see ANY nitrous horror stories that hasn't involved an improper installation or an engine already in bad shape. :shrug:

No, but I have heard a couple of stories of the computer taking a ****, pulling all the extra fuel, and blowing the motor when it was installed correctly. Heard it happen a couple of times. I prefer a nice simple nitrous system. There isn't a single problem I can have on my nitrous kit that I can't trouble shoot with a 12 volt source, and a 9/16 wrench. As for the rest of the equipment, I would consider them upgrades that would enhance any nitrous kit but not required. If you want to get a lot of passes out of your nitrous bottle, you're going to have to warm it up a little.

Kurt

revhead347 said:
No, but I have heard a couple of stories of the computer taking a ****, pulling all the extra fuel, and blowing the motor when it was installed correctly. Heard it happen a couple of times. I prefer a nice simple nitrous system. There isn't a single problem I can have on my nitrous kit that I can't trouble shoot with a 12 volt source, and a 9/16 wrench. As for the rest of the equipment, I would consider them upgrades that would enhance any nitrous kit but not required. If you want to get a lot of passes out of your nitrous bottle, you're going to have to warm it up a little.

Kurt

The key word to me is "heard". I personally know guys who will blame ANYTHING but themselves for a blown motor. Then my friends tell me, "look I was there, he's a fuaking moron and kept bumping the shot up and not dropping the timing. Plus when I asked him what his plugs were gapped at... he hesitated and said they were gapped at what they were suppose to be, but didn't know what that was. You could hear the car detonating all the way down the track, but he didn't let out of it once."

I'm not trying to say bad things haven't happened, they happen all the time to everything. For instance I worked at a gas station when the new plastic coke bottles came out. You know the "curved" design. Let's just say Coke found out the hard way that they had to tighten the specs on the way they were made. When we received our first shipment, 50% of them you could get to blow their top off by dropping them 6 inches to the floor.

It was a rare occurance but we had a shipment full of them. It was dangerous for the customers and for me when I was stocking them. Now everyone reading this has heard of it happening to SEVERAL cases of these, but will this keep these people from buying Coke now? :shrug: I still buy them on occasion even though I got drenched in Coke and about shot in the face.

Zex has more than impressed me with every aspect of their nitrous kits. Except for the damn brass piece on the bottle that the hose screws onto. The material is too soft and can easily be misthreaded or overtightened ruining the threads. I've had to buy one replacement already and am getting ready to buy a second. :bang: Maybe it's me, maybe it's the 45 degree elbow I have on the bottle. Who knows.... :(

My point is, knocking a product on a couple of occurances you heard about isn't doing the product justice and doesn't necessarily make it inferior to others.

I personally have seen more **** blown up by NOS, and CompuCar.... but I know guys who run them successfully too. :nice:

Here's my buddys heads... Nitrous Works system:

nitrous_lean.jpg

He admits he heard it detonate, but didn't care too much.