big vs small

Which engine have you driven in a Classic Mustang?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since there are so many opinions around about driving a car witha small block engine or big block engine, I thought it would be interesting to see who had driven what type of set up.

Personally: 65 coupe w/302, 67 fastback w/289, same 67 w/429.

• Sponsors (?)

Favorites...

:D I'm all of the above, having owned all of the above!

The most awesome was the 428SCJ in the Mach! Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much power, but so much fun!

The most fun was the two BOSS 302's I flogged in the MAgazine Shoot-Outs I did. What a beautiful engine! 3500 RPM, and WHAM!! Dr. Jeckyl becomes Mr. Hyde! Revved it right up to the limiter! Increduble sound, and the motors wind up so fast!

My current motor is just a well prepared small-block. Bullet-proof, reliable, easy to fix, and inexpensive to work on!

I've owned:
Five different 67 C-codes
One 67 A-code
Two 67 S-codes

I've also driven a K-code as well as a 428CJ (was that a J-code?)

My current daily driver is a 4.6DOHC and my classic has a 357W.

69 coupe that was a 250 six- I converted to a 302.

62 Meteor with a 260.

70 Grande with a 302

69 Mach 1 with a 428 4 speed

69 Fastback with a 351 turned 393.

69 Cougar XR7 with a 351

69 Cougar Eliminator with a 390.

66 Comet Cyclone GT with a 390.

77 Mustang II with a stock 302

77 Maverick with a modified 302

78 Mustang II fastback with a heavily modified 302 4 speed.

The only cars I haven't driven are the bosses and the 429s.

I've driven 'em all having grown up in a Mustang shop...

Can't say I mind the smoothness if the I-6 for a daily driver.

My most memorable time though was doing burnouts in a '67 G.T. 500 (428PI with 2 4bbl carbs). That car was sick.

All around though, I'd have to say I'm a small block fan. I'm far more into road racing than drag.

1965 Shelby Cobra Coupe 427 S/C
1965 Shelby Cobra MKIII 427 S/C
1966 Coupe 200
1967 Fastback 289 :owned:
1967 Fastback 351W :owned:
1977 Mustang II 302
+ a few F250/ F350 Trucks(because you cant haul a Mustang with a Chevy!)

I voted 6 cylinder only. I drove a 302 when I was 16, but I can hardly say I remember it (it was 20 years ago). It keeps up with traffic. :rolleyes:

My '89 GT was fun..

Hopefully this summer I'll have the 351C in my car and I'll get a chance to drive something different. :)

Max Power said:
You got heated space to work on it? I'm jealous...
Nope, no heated space, I just wear a lot of clothes right now. :(

I may have to break down and buy a torpedo heater though.

Oh, and I probably should have said end of March, because I doubt I'll get it done during February. I still have to choose between Aussie and the new Edelbrock heads. Since the Edelbrocks are scheduled to come out mid-February, that may delay my build depending on availability. I would almost just buy the Aussies because of the schedule, but any weight savings is a big deal to me.

Car had a tired 200ci six, talk about a dog. Then switched to a very mild carbed 302, which wasn't too bad, but still not fast by any means.

Now working on my EFI 5.0, which should really rip.