Build Thread Bird_dog0347's Frankenstang, sure is nice of us to build a car around the fuel filler door

• Sponsors (?)

Surprise... I didn't sell it. Take note of the tape line on the roof.

dPG6jhg.jpg

This just made my day. Can’t wait to see the end result

Reactions: 2 users
No complaints there. That car has to be glad you own it. Someone else would've seen that and scrapped the car. Especially, 10 years ago. It has a hell of a story now.

No complaints there. That car has to be glad you own it. Someone else would've seen that and scrapped the car. Especially, 10 years ago. It has a hell of a story now.
Oh I rescued the car for sure... even drove it 3 hours back home with a breathalyzer in it that I had to blow into every 30 minutes, just to have to drive another 6 hour round trip two weeks later to get it uninstalled. I almost said screw it and cut it out myself to let that guy twist in the wind. When I got it I was told it had an aftermarket cam in it... nope, it was missing the O2 harness and running piss poor. Once I replaced the harness and sensors I discovered a stock long block (not to this car, it was a 4 banger conversion). Long story short, there was a metric F ton of ugly on this car, but I decided to rescue it anyway. All the mechanical stuff so far I've done, but I knew the Paint/Body was way out of my league so that's where K&K comes in. This car is truly the fairy tale ugly duckling story here... but I'd rather save this one than screw up an original one.

Reactions: 4 users
So my rear bumper cover and trunk lid were in bad enough condition that it was smarter/cheaper to buy new ones and get them fitted up. We were going to need them in order to get the rear fender replaced and fitted correctly, so LMR to the rescue and Kevin was able to mount them up real quick to check quality/alignment and it'll be much easier to work with. I also intend to get some 1986 style tail lights for it as well, since the ones I have aren't great. Has anyone gotten the ones from LMR and have a review?

esgxGtx.jpg

RTq5A6C.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I think the taillights are all Daniel carpenter made from the correct molding. I’ve bought a lot of those DCR parts are they are virtually indistinguishable from OEM.

• Agree
Tear down continues, last week the new trunk lid and rear bumper cover were delivered, I will order a new hood, front bumper cover, fender extensions, and 10 piece molding set this week. The cowl has damage (knew about it already) and will be replaced with the one from the donor car, as well as fix some rust areas on the driver's door mount area. Passenger side still looks good and clean.

zFoAKV8.jpg

w9EPMIp.jpg

miI6YWi.jpg

Kn6RyLf.jpg

On the rear fender that has to be cut out and replaced, once the trim was pulled we found that not only is this the worst repair maybe ever (up by the window) but that this fender had already been replaced and it was STILL that bad of a job. That's white paint under the trim... astounding.

kr2szRJ.jpg

o3iDb2q.jpg

CRTkeLw.jpg

LCzuEoV.jpg

UJyvC4X.jpg

ECFTdU1.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Placed the order today for my new hood, front bumper cover, 10 piece molding kit, and fender spats which I think was the last of the body parts we needed that we don't have yet. Kevin got the fenders down to metal then getting primed.

B066Cem.jpg

J3hrG3B.jpg

noolf8d.jpg

FkuxIZj.jpg

He also got the front fenders in epoxy today after getting the metal work done, the driver's side was a good one he already had as my old one needed quite a bit of work.

kGxopCV.jpg

e47PjZ7.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Has there been talk about when it will be finished?
I knew going in that it was going to take a long time... we haven't even started the hard parts yet of replacing the rear fender, installing the T-Tops, or smoothing the front part of the engine bay. AFTER all that we still have to wait for the primer to cure for like 6 months before getting in line to paint it.

I knew going in that it was going to take a long time... we haven't even started the hard parts yet of replacing the rear fender, installing the T-Tops, or smoothing the front part of the engine bay. AFTER all that we still have to wait for the primer to cure for like 6 months before getting in line to paint it.
Plus we have the “while we are at it” factor. For instance… if the drivetrain is out might as well put a Maximum motorsports K member in…just as an example.

• Agree