bizarre drivetrain noises

Asha'man

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Denver
My clutch makes odd noises. :p When it's the clutch, it'll sound like it's rubbing or creaking when I clutch in and out quickly at higher RPM's. Sounds almost like not enough grease on/around the TOB. Other times it just sounds like something's rubbing at slow speeds and especially on deceleration in gear (like under 10-15 mph). I know this is vague, but it's really hard to describe. I need to change my chirpy TOB soon, any theories on if I can fix these rubbing noises while I'm in there?

Ash

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, it was really bad today on the mountain cruise with my Stang club. Horrible rubbing and chafing noises, bad vibration at 3500 rpms and above, the loud rubbing sound when clutching at high rpms, the works. Also seemingly excessive noise through the shifter, including a nice loud rattle. Any other suggestions?

Ash

From what I've been reading, it looks like ka0tyk hit it....bent or damaged bearing retainer. I'm going to price one at work today. The process doesn't seem too hard once the tranny's out, which it's going to be anyway for the TOB. I'll check the bell-to-block bolts too.

Ash