Body work on my '88 GT Questions/Opinions please.

DARCA

Nov 19, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Ok, I my Stang has a few dants and some rust I would like to take care of.

First questions:
IMG_2384.jpg
IMG_2377.jpg

How hard will it be to remove and replace this bent (I honestly don't know what to call it) Cowling here? What things should I know and honestly should a n00b like myself attempt to replace this on my own?

Second Question:
IMG_2379.jpg
IMG_2378.jpg

What would be the best way to pop this dent?

Third Question:
I have a few spots of surface rust, just sanding these and spraying them should solve the problem right?

I am very new to this kind of thing and just want to get the best clarification I can before I do something stupid.

-Thanks.

My GT:
IMG_2385.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2379.jpg
    IMG_2379.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2378.jpg
    IMG_2378.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Sponsors (?)

Bodywork isnt something most guys can do and make it look good.

1. It takes skills to replace the cowl, there is cutting and welding involved, I heard that it's a JOB, if you're a novice dont do it.

2. You might be better off getting another door, I would imagine getting that 'character line' above the molding back is a PITA and expensive.

3. Get some stuff called Rust Converter at autozone or someplace, and buy the stuff in the bottle that you have to brush on, the spray sucks. Sand the rust down, spread the converter and then paint it. It may not look the best, but it will keep the car from rusting and looking really bad until you can get a paint job.

#1 My cowl looked FAR worse than yours..I did no replace mine. I used a couple simple bodywork tools to pull the dents. Sanded the spots down that were damaged and used a minimal amount of filler to make sure it was straightened out. Block sanded it back down smooth and primed it...
#2 replace the door.....it can be fixed but I personally would just find another one that is clean, prep it for paint, and mount it... Alot less stressfull IMO than trying to pull the dent, line it up, and HOPE it turned out clean...
#3 Like LIQUIDGT stated sand and prep it for paint

I had my secondary hood latch come undone at 50mph ( forgot my pins:mad:) and my 4 inch cowl hood cut through the same area like butter. If you try to replace it you can't buy the new ford sheet metal replacement for it, they have been long since discontinued and sold for scrap metal:shrug: my Brother-in-law was going to fix mine when he worked for Ford, he could not get the part.
If you take one off another car you are looking at double trouble! much easier to fix it like they are suggesting than to cut it out X2 and weld in an old one.

Bodywork isnt something most guys can do and make it look good.

1. It takes skills to replace the cowl, there is cutting and welding involved, I heard that it's a JOB, if you're a novice dont do it.

2. You might be better off getting another door, I would imagine getting that 'character line' above the molding back is a PITA and expensive.

3. Get some stuff called Rust Converter at autozone or someplace, and buy the stuff in the bottle that you have to brush on, the spray sucks. Sand the rust down, spread the converter and then paint it. It may not look the best, but it will keep the car from rusting and looking really bad until you can get a paint job.

Yep, I have replaced cowls on other Foxes before (not mine, yet, thankfully) and getting it done right is not a novice first choice for starting out. Second, if you can find a good door to replace that would be a whole lot easier for sure. I repaired my passenger side and although it looks good and hard to tell it was hit, I know what angle to look at it to prove my point. Just get a new door!

I had the same dents in my cowl, thanks to the hood coming up. I used a porta power to push it back out but found that even a small scissor jack worked. Sure using a jack isn't the most professional way but it did an ok job to start with. From there it took some work with a body hammer and now its almost perfect. At first glance you wouldn't notice it but once it gets a little filler and paint it will be good as new.