Bought my first Cobra.. suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

TheFleshRocket said:
The previous owner says the engine peaks at 14 lbs of boost but drops to around 11psi at redline. I'm guessing that a blower port job would give me enough air flow to keep 14psi all the way to redline. What do you guys think?
Yes. A good port job coupled with a non-slip upper pulley and a good idler will allow the Eaton to make and hold 14lbs all they way to redline. I HIGHLY suggest you go with Stiegemeier for your porting work. They've ported more Eaton M112's than anyone around and have a great reputation, quality work, fast turn around.

U.M.

I have read nothing but good things about the Stiegmeier work, so I'll probably send the blower off to them this spring once it gets to be motorcycle weather again. The Stage IV upgrade looks like what I'll go for. 50hp for $545 sounds like a deal.

I have another question--based on the mods listed, does 463hp seem likely? I ask because I checked his feedback and he's recently sold some 60lb injectors, a KB boost-a-spark and an Accufab throttle body. Now I haven't asked him about this because I just noticed it and it's almost midnight, but I want to make sure that the 463hp figure is with the car as-is, not with some performance parts which have been removed. I'm not super worried about it as the guy seems honest enough, but I figured I'd ask here too.

Thanks guys!

TheFleshRocket said:
I have read nothing but good things about the Stiegmeier work, so I'll probably send the blower off to them this spring once it gets to be motorcycle weather again. The Stage IV upgrade looks like what I'll go for. 50hp for $545 sounds like a deal.

I have another question--based on the mods listed, does 463hp seem likely? I ask because I checked his feedback and he's recently sold some 60lb injectors, a KB boost-a-spark and an Accufab throttle body. Now I haven't asked him about this because I just noticed it and it's almost midnight, but I want to make sure that the 463hp figure is with the car as-is, not with some performance parts which have been removed. I'm not super worried about it as the guy seems honest enough, but I figured I'd ask here too.

Thanks guys!
I'd be a little concerned about the injectors, boost-a-spark, and TB myself. Those are mods required when going with a high boost KB or Whipple twin screw. Wonder if this car was heavily boosted and then de-modded? Maybe the parts were bought in anticipation of adding a twin screw later and the previous owner never got around to it? :shrug:

463RWHP seems a little high for just those mods and that MAC Straight Shot CAI/MAF is NOT one of the better setups for an 03/04 Cobra. Reason being is the MAC MAF is 5MM larger in diameter than the stock MAF, yet the kit has you re-utilizing the stock MAF sensor in the MAC housing. This leads to erroneous airflow data being sent to the ECM which if not accounted for in the tune could cause a lean condition.

On a good note I se Ed at RWTD is the one who tuned the car. He and James know their chit! Head on over to www.runninwiththedevil.com and let them know you now own a car which was tuned by them (Ed). Ask them if the numbers are right and also ask them if the MAC Straight Shot MAF was accounted for in the tune.

U.M.

P.S. If you're going to go with a stage IV port you might as well let them port your stock throttle body and inlet too.

The one thing I thought was kinda strange was that he has sold two of the Accufab throttle bodies. I'm not sure why he'd have two of them. Both auctions received positive feedback nonetheless.

Anyway, I'll find out about the car in just a few minutes. I flew out to pick it up and am sitting at the airport waiting for them to arrive now.

One thing he did mention was that he'd purchased the Meziere water pump off of a friend's Cobra. Maybe his buddy sold his car and pulled some of the high-performance parts first?

I'll check with Ed and see what he has to say. Thanks for the advice!

Turns out he also had a '98 Cobra that he had a T-trim on. That's what those parts were on. My Cobra has all of the parts on it as when it dynoed at 463rwhp, with the exception of the electric water pump.

I have the dyno sheet and the list of mods that the ECU was programmed for. I'll post them tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm very happy with everything about the car except the clutch, which engages in about 1" of travel and about 1" off the floor. I'm going to look into a clutch that will handle 500+ hp but be more streetable than this one.

Yup, I sent him an email. He didn't specifically remember the car but said that he had last done a tune for it in either March or May (I forget which) of this year. He said those power numbers were about right with a car with those mods.

I also asked him about the tunes he provides and he said he could take care of one for me if I had the blower ported.

Anything else I should ask him?

TheFleshRocket said:
Yup, I sent him an email. He didn't specifically remember the car but said that he had last done a tune for it in either March or May (I forget which) of this year. He said those power numbers were about right with a car with those mods.

I also asked him about the tunes he provides and he said he could take care of one for me if I had the blower ported.

Anything else I should ask him?
Strange.... According to Stiegemeier re-tuning is not required after blower porting.

As for what else to ask him I can't think of anything. Did the previous owner give you a handheld tuner with the car?

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Strange.... According to Stiegemeier re-tuning is not required after blower porting.

*snip* It did not seem reasonable to add ~ 50 RWHP and not have to get a new tune... However after some thinking about it, it occurred to me: All your doing is increasing airflow, if your MAF is not pegged, it will add fuel and all is good. BTW I just installed my freshly ported(stage 4), and I will be putting it on the Dyno (RWTD) to check power, and more importantly make sure I'm safe...

Ah, well that's cool. If I don't need a new tune, even better. Although I'll probably take the car to the dyno to get the AFR checked and measure its output.

I didn't specifically ask Ed if I needed a tune if I had the blower ported--just asked about getting any new maps if necessary.