Boy I love my K40

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
Last summer I bought a k40 radar detector for 240 bucks after I got a pretty good ticket in OK. I figure that thing has probable saved me from ten tickets where I would have got caught because the officer's car was hidden from view. Probable over 6000 ticket free miles. ROCK!!

Hey anybody in Texas should check out the DPS website and the DRP program.
DRIVER RESPONSIBILITY PROGRAM (DRP)
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/drp/drp.htm

Also don't forget about the law where you have to move over to the far lane when passing an officer on the side of the road, or slow down 20 mph below the speed limit as you pass them. I think that one carries like a 200 dollar fine. :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, I didn't know K40 was still around. Used to be pretty big in the CB biz "back in the day". I had an original K40 trunk-lip-mount antenna on my Gran Torino; I'm told that big ol' 5' whip used to stand up pretty straight while I was trying to find the top end of my speedo :p It even got me out of being the loser in a 3 versus 1 parking lot mugging in downtown Tucson - they caught me right at the back bumper. I was instantly in love with the quarter-turn-quick-disconnect mount; and the cretins figured out why the long pointy rod part was called a "whip". (When you're a skinny little B*S***D, you grab any and all advantages you can get!) :D
They also made a pretty good little aftermarket microphone, and I'd heard they got into the radar detector market - but that was what....20 years ago? Didn't know they were still in business - hope it's not just some outfit gravy-training on the original company's name. :rolleyes:

My last radar detector (about 11 years ago) was a Cobra Trapshooter III. Paid for itself 4 hours after I bought it, when it woke me up at 12:00 AM (and 90 MPH in a 65) by telling me the AZ Highway Patrol was a measured 2.1 miles away. At 2 miles, I thought it had faked me out; but I kept my patience, and had just barely time to make out the Crown Vic in the median when he touched off his radar again. I stayed awake for the next 44 miles to home. :nice:

Since then, I figured out that there are very few times when I need to drive like that to get somewhere (without just leaving earlier). That box is around here somewhere; now you've gotten me interested in searching for it. :fuss:

Be careful. The police have some pretty nice radar and laser guns. Having the detector certainly helps a lot (in town it is freaking awsome), but it is not perfect and there is no substitute for watching the road ahead, taking road conditions into account, and paying attention to other drivers.

Yeah I tried the no speeding thing, but after I got a 100 dollar 76 in a 70 ticket, while doing 69, I gave that up. Figured if I was going to pay the price I might as well do the crime. I was passing a slow car in OK when I got the fat one and finally decided it was time to deploy countermeasures.

I didn't know that K40 had been around that long. We had a CB when I was a kid. My dad's handle was Iron Man. I thought he was the coolest.