Brake help please?!

SCF94GT

Mar 27, 2010
MI
Hello all! I have a 1994 GT that has had a braking problem since I got it. The car pulls to the left with moderate to hard braking. I have replaced the pads, rotors and calipers first. It still pulled. I recently replaced the front brake hoses, and it still pulls. What's left? The car has ABS, if that matters. Is there some sort of valve that puts pressure, right to left, that could cause these symtoms? Any ideas? :shrug: UPDATE: See last post

• Sponsors (?)

I wonder, could it be a stuck caliper? If you're pulling to the left perhaps one of the right side calipers is frozen. However, I would find it very unlikely that a stuck rear caliper would make the car pull to one side.

Check and see if the rubber seals around the piston are torn or cracked. Also, there's a slider mechanism on each caliper that needs to flow smoothly or you'll get uneven pad wear (and grip). There are hardware kits you can buy to replace the rubber seals and small hardware.

I did put new calipers on the front already. I did check the slides when I did the front brakes. What else could it be? I am a bit frustrated, I replaced just about everything already, and it's still an issue.

I did look at the lines, they looked okay. I guess I should look again. Is there anything else that I should check. I assume the master cylinder would not be to blame for the pullling. What's left?

when you bled the calipers, did they bleed the same. (did they seem to have the same volumn on each side when you opened the bleeder?) You might have a partially crushed line somewhere causing the restriction

Partially crushed or plugged up from rusting inside the line, those would both cause that. Years ago, my dad's 57 Chevy would about break your arm pulling to the right (drum brakes, manual steering). The rubber line had deteriorated internally on the driver side, and it wasn't getting any pressure. Definitely not fun to be driving that tank and have to make an emergency stop on a back road to avoid a bale of hay! :rlaugh:

Scott

I checked the brake lines, they looked fine. I swapped the new pads and rotors from right the left, same issue. While jacking the car up I noticed my rear spring on the drivers side is broken up high. Not cracked, but completely broke and doesn't seat on the perch right. I ordered new springs (and got new shocks, since I have to take off the old one to remove the springs). I hope this fixes the pulling with the brakes too! The pull was to the left and the rear spring is broken on the left.

I checked the brake lines, they looked fine. I swapped the new pads and rotors from right the left, same issue. While jacking the car up I noticed my rear spring on the drivers side is broken up high. Not cracked, but completely broke and doesn't seat on the perch right. I ordered new springs (and got new shocks, since I have to take off the old one to remove the springs). I hope this fixes the pulling with the brakes too! The pull was to the left and the rear spring is broken on the left.

When the calipers were replaced did you plug the brake hose immediately after disconnecting it from the caliper? Very important to prevent the fluid from draining out of the line and air entering the Hydraulic control unit (HCU). The HCU on an ABS system cannot be bled without a very expensive tool. If the line(s) drained I'll bet that this is the problem and the right calipers is not applying pressure to the caliper as the left is.

Partially crushed or plugged up from rusting inside the line, those would both cause that. Years ago, my dad's 57 Chevy would about break your arm pulling to the right (drum brakes, manual steering). The rubber line had deteriorated internally on the driver side, and it wasn't getting any pressure. Definitely not fun to be driving that tank and have to make an emergency stop on a back road to avoid a bale of hay! :rlaugh:

Scott

With that tank you should have just plowed threw that hay, lol

Update: Problem fixed, I replaced a ball joint on driver's side (the side that was pulling) and the problem is gone. Finally! I will do the other side soon too! I thought I would share me experience, it may help someone.

When I first bought my car, it also pulled to the left under braking and the problem turned out to be worn steering rack bushings. You might want to check those out even though you've cured the problem for now.