Brake job underway

Andres2882

Jan 29, 2004
Well, finally got around to doing my brake replacement job. As my good friend and amateur mechanic friend predicted, it's going to take much longer than previously thought/planned.

Pretty simple concept, strip off stock brake components down to the spindle and then drill and tap the existing stock dust cover holes to accomodate mounting the new hardware. Oh yah, instructions also barely mention possibly having to "trim" back some ears on the spindle.

Well, after numerous trips to this godly discount hardware store around the corner where I picked up some amazing new toys/tools, I get to work drilling out the holes. Holes number one and two, right side and upper holes on the spindle, drill through with minimal difficulty and some WD40. Hole number 3 though, ouch. Hole number 3 literally eats through my two drills. Drill number 1 was bought for the project, and somehow the screw on the inside of the key mechanism snapped in half, meaning the entire drill part of the drill screws itself off. :notnice: Man down. Drill number two is a black and decker "house chore" drill and it did well, but also was defeated by hole number 3, though it did manage to take a drill bit with it. Hardware store is closed so return has to wait till tomorrow. :nonono:

In the meantime, I figured I'd try to shear off the "ears" which are actually 1 inch thick steel/iron flanges. To my surprise, my $15 grinder with the cutting grinder on it chewed through those puppies like they were semi-cold butter. :banana: Anyway, just an FYI of my project, anyone have any experience with a similar brake upgrade?

I went with the Aerospace Engineering 4 Piston set which seems very nice!

• Sponsors (?)