Brakes are done!!! (PICS)

• Sponsors (?)

COST UPDATE!!!!

Ok, I totalled all me receipts together and here is the breakdown. Keep in mind that these totals are not including shipping costs, Fluids and other small stuff, or applicable taxes. All parts were bought brand new unless otherwise noted in red.

'95 Spindles (used) $150
Ford Hubs $150
Ford Spindle nuts (hub nuts) $36
'95 booster (used) $45
'93 M/C $95
MM 3-2 conv. $35
FRPP proportioning valve $48
prop. valve plug $7 (wrong plug, didn't end up using it)
13" brembo rotors $125
Mach 1 PBR front Calipers $179
MM S/S front brake hoses $80
FRPP front control arms $176
Alloy USA SN95 5 lug axles $210
M-2300-m rear bracket kit $170
Rear Cobra calipers $186
Custom bent rear hardlines $50 (had correct fittings for SN95 soft hose)
MM S/S rear hose $50
Rear soft hoses $44
FRPP short Ebrake cable $15
FRPP rear Ebrake cables $48
Ford caliper bolts -all 8- $67 (Expensive little bastards!)
McGuard Lug and lock kit $38
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total $2005 if I did my math correctly.

FRPP 1999 Cobra wheels $380
Yokohama AVS ES100 $440 (245/45/17)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total $820

GRAND TOTAL $2825 (roughly)

Now, I could have done it cheaper by not buying new control arms (-$176) and using rear caliper adapters instead of buying new custom hardlines (-$50). I also could have utilized more of the "pre-owned" market, but I like buying new stuff.

All in all, it seems that piecing it together tailored to my needs and wants was comparable to the cost of the M-2300-K kit.

If I have forgotten anything or anyone has any questions regarding the various costs......PM me or post it up here so others can get something out of your questions. Thanks for reading this far.

Justin

PS- I finally put on my MM strut tower brace that I have had sitting around for 2 years and it stiffened up the front end nicely.

As I said in my previous post, " it seems that piecing it together tailored to my needs and wants was comparable to the cost of the M-2300-K kit".

If I would have deleted the front control arms and used caliper adapters, it would have been in the ballpark of $1800. By piecing together the kit, it made me learn a lot about what goes into Mustang brake systems and that knowledge is priceless.:rlaugh:

Cool thanks.

Nice job on your setup. I piece parted my setup together. I wasn't planning to do that but I found a guy parting out a '98 Cobra. I got all four rotors, four calipers, spindles, hubs and the spare for $400. I couldn't pass that up.

Another question. Did your calipers come loaded with pads?

I had an '03 Cobra and loved the stock pads on the street. They had great initial bite and lasted well. They suck for Open Tracking though. I use my GT for HPDE events and can't decide on which pads to get or two have multiple pads and switch back and forth. I'm currently running Hawk HPS+ and the are great when they get hot but they are noisy as hell for the street.

Yes, both front and rear calipers came with pads. I like the stock carbon metalics, they are quiet and stop well enough but are a bit dusty. I plan on getting either Hawk HPS or a good set of Porterfields for when I open track the car (eventually). Good to know that the HPS's are a bit noisy, thanks for that info!

I set the stock brakes on fire the first time I open tracked my Cobra. I then switched to the HPS. These things dusted like crazy and they only lasted one track day. That's it, well maybe 50 highway miles and the track day. I chock some of that up to a car with a track weight of 4100 lbs and my willingness to brake very hard and very late.

The GT being substantially lighter I haven't set the brakes on fire yet :p I installed some brake ducts that I fabricated from Home Depot goodies. I'm sure this helps.

I haven't looked into the Porterfields yet but I've heard good things.

Maybe if I post some pics of the brake ducts and we discuss a little more tech I'll move this thread into the Tech forum and we'll get a little bump in post count :rlaugh:

Sounds good.....Looks like if I do open track my LX am definitely going to have to take out the stereo box in the back. That thing is HEAVY!
After the MM panhard bar goes in next month, I plan on getting an Autopower roll bar to stiffen up the car further than the STB and the SFC's do already.

What I REALLY need to do is to find another car to Daily drive.:D

As for brake ducts, I left the dust shields off of the front spindles just in case I needed/wanted to fab up some ducting to cool off the brakes. Start another thread or post up some pics, I'd love to see them!

What are you running for suspension?