Burnt fuel pump hanger assembly connectors

I have been having problems with my fuel pump on my 90 GT. I dropped the tank for the forth time in two weeks & and went through three fuel pumps. This time I noticed the red connector that attaches to the top of the fuel pump hanger assembly was burnt through exposing the electrical connection. I further examined the hanger assembly itself and the top where the electrical connections connect was melted a little. So I had to buy a new fuel pump hanger assembly and red electrical connector from the ford dealer. I was wondering what could cause this to melt on both electrical connections. The only other recent problems I had was two months ago & it was the alternator and its connection wires. The previous owner didn't have the electrical connection to plug into the alternator so he soldered the wires to the alternator. I got a new electrical connection for the alternator. But I might have mixed up the wires on the two thick black & orange wires when I was connecting them to the new plug. Could this be the cause of the burnt electrical connections on the fuel pump hanger assembly? Any info/input greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Over time the slip electrical connectors used to assemble the fuel pump wiring will corrode due to moisture in the gas tank. Then they do, the resistance increases and makes heat, which makes more heat and more resistance. That's when you start to see melted wiring and connectors.