Buy a V6 or V8???

tac3242004

Jun 11, 2004
Ok, I need some help here and would appreciate some feedback. After two years of searching for a new car, I have finally narrowed it down to the redesigned mustang. Price is a concern, but I would be willing to go the extra cash if I can solve this problem. I want 300 horses, do you think it will be cheaper to just buy the V8, or to purchase a V6 and put the neccessary mods on it to make it 300 hp? Since I've always driven a piece of pooo, I've never really added mods, specifically to the engine, how much cash would you estimate it to jump from 205hp to 300hp? Do you think its better to just hand it to an autoshop and have them do it. In a way I definetly want to do it myself, but would prefer not to learn on my first new car, or for that matter any car with a value over 500 bucks. What are your experiences with the other mustangs. I just can't wait to get my hands on this car, hopefully for a reasonable price, I'm hoping my "sweatbox" will make it another 2 1/2 months until the mustang comes out. So ford if your reading this message boards, get your arses in gear, and get that car out on the lot.

• Sponsors (?)

The V8 is making more than 300. It's got 290 at the wheels. With a 15% drivetrain loss(assuming manual) that's around 340 at the flywheel.

Even if you forget about that though, it's still gonna cost more to mod a V6 to 300hp and have it still be reliable. Do the mods yourself and you're talking an easy 5 grand. Probably 7 at a shop. And even after that you still got V6 suspension, brakes, and wheels.

I would suggest getting the most you can afford (provided you want it in the first place) starting with the hardest-to-upgrade-later options. Making the V6 as fast as the V8 will cost a lot more money down the road than just getting the V8 now. If you have to skimp, then I would skimp on things like stereo, since upgrading that down the road is much easier.

Short answer: Get the V8! :D

Dave

Definitely go for the V8!

Can you mod a V6 to make 300+ HP? Sure. Can you mod it to have the same characteristics as a V8 (power band, peak torque, etc.)? No.

Don't get me wrong, people who buy the V6 are going to get a quality car that will be competive with other cars in the segment. But it's no V8. Unless your insurance is absolutely ridiculous for the 4.6, I wouldn't even consider the V6.

I don't think the gas milieage is even that good for the V6 in relation to the V8.

Buy a stripper V8 (no premium package). I am planning to do the same thing.

Just to be controvertial - I think you should buy the V6 for two reasons

1. If you only need occasional blasts to 300hp then you can easily get that from your V6 for less than $800 with a nitrous kit.

2. If you buy a V6 then there will be more V8's for me to pick from :)

V8!!!!!!!!!

The GT will be about $3000 more than the V6 when equally equiped. It will cost you at least $3000+ to make the V6 300HP plus you won't have the factory warranty or reliability anymore. GT is also better b/c it comes with a beefed up tranny and rearend to handle the extra power.

Lets not forget the V8 will have much better resale. Modding a car usually lowers its value, it almost never adds to the value.

Personally, I'd go for the V8. However, let me throw this out there: insurance will be cheaper on the V6. Don't forget to consider that when calculating what it will cost to get you into the car you want.

Thanks for the info

Hey guys thanks for the info, I've always preferred the older stlye cars over anything out there today, but unfortunelty reliability is a factor. So this car hits the spot for me, as I'm sure for most if not all of you. I was leaning toward the V6, but after some of these comments, I'm back on the V8 side, it would be extremely painful to buy this car in a V6, I don't know if I could dot the I's on that one, let alone see one on the street. Alright so all I need to do is figure out which state has the cheapest car insurance, pretty simple.

If I buy an '05 Mustang, it will be another V6. When has 0-60 in 7 seconds ever not been fast enough?

I'm betting when pricing comes out, the GT will be priced proportionally as it is now. When I bought my '00 V6 convertible, the difference was $4500. No way on God's green earth is a GT $4500 faster than a V6. But, to each his own.

No way on God's green earth is a GT $4500 faster than a V6. But, to each his own.
Dutch, I don't know what to say. I agree with you, to each his own. If you think that the V6 is quick enough, then you must probably get a thrill riding elevators. In today's automotive realm, 0-60 in the 7-8 second range is where mini vans, SUV's, and econo-commuters play. You've got to realize the context here. Many of us on this site think a stock GT is too damn slow. "Fast enough" doesn't happen for me until I can't keep the rear end planted in 3rd gear in a straight line at 60-70 mph. Then, I feel like I'm at the crest of where the fun stops, and the futility begins. Short of that, I'm always wishing I had more power to play with. If you're happy with your V6, that's dandy, there's alot of people who like their V6's, and more power to them (literally!). But for more performance oriented drivers, who frequent the dragstrips and road courses on weekends, driving a car that does 0-60 in 7 seconds would be like wearing cement shoes. Loathsome, tiring, and slow.

tac, if you want the 300 h.p., buy the GT. It makes no sense to buy cheaper, and then spend the majority of the money you saved trying to teach that pig to dance. Getting the V6 to 300 h.p. would require ALOT, and would definately require either a supercharger, turbo system, or nitrous. You'd be "different", but you'd also be poorer and less reliable in the end. The ends do not justify the means. If you want GT performance, buy the GT. You also get the GT suspension, wheels, brakes, etc.etc... It would cost you a fortune to replicate that starting with a 6-cylinder car.

V8

Given your "requirement" of 300 hp, have to go with the V8 over mod's to the V6. Some other's bring up the point that a V6 performance is "good enough", and for many people it is (actually projected like 2/3 V6's for the 05 stang) ... but you stated a requirement of 300 HP. Given that ... gotta go V8.

While Nitros is a cheaper option, a little too intense for a first mod in my book, and kinda like having the warranty in tact.

tac3242004 said:
I want 300 horses, do you think it will be cheaper to just buy the V8, or to purchase a V6 and put the neccessary mods on it to make it 300 hp?

Get a GT. There is no way you will be able to modify a V6 and get it to over 300 HP for the price differential. Nitrous does not count because it only works at WOT and will void your warranty. In addition, the ability to modify the PCM is unknown, but will be much more difficult than on older Mustangs. Plus any money you spend on modifying your car is money down the toilet when you got to sell your car.

The 210 V6 reportedly has about 220 HP, but the "300 HP" GT V8 reportedly has oclose to 330 HP! :hail2:

RICKS said:
Dutch, I don't know what to say. I agree with you, to each his own. If you think that the V6 is quick enough, then you must probably get a thrill riding elevators. In today's automotive realm, 0-60 in the 7-8 second range is where mini vans, SUV's, and econo-commuters play. You've got to realize the context here. Many of us on this site think a stock GT is too damn slow. "Fast enough" doesn't happen for me until I can't keep the rear end planted in 3rd gear in a straight line at 60-70 mph. Then, I feel like I'm at the crest of where the fun stops, and the futility begins. Short of that, I'm always wishing I had more power to play with. If you're happy with your V6, that's dandy, there's alot of people who like their V6's, and more power to them (literally!). But for more performance oriented drivers, who frequent the dragstrips and road courses on weekends, driving a car that does 0-60 in 7 seconds would be like wearing cement shoes. Loathsome, tiring, and slow.

Well my first car was really slow, so I guess that set the tone. It was a '77 Ford Granada 302 California (Variable Venturi carb) that put out 122 hp. After that, everything seems fast. I believe it was Motor Trend that published a 14.2 0-60 time for that car.

Also, compared to my Chrysler, Mustang GTs are woefully lacking in bottom end, so don't seem that fun to drive. My butt-dyno doesn't notice much of a difference until you get the GT above 4000.

I agree with the last part of what you said; if you want to go fast, you're definately better off starting with a GT than trying to mod a V6.

The upcoming new GT's ought to make your "butt dyno" throw out some far more impressive numbers! LOL. Yes, I think we can all now clearly see the origin of your perspective. '77 Grenada, boy, that's one that you could almost push faster than you could drive! My first car, believe it or not, was a rust-bucket, back when they were cheap, 120,000 mile '69 Shelby GT350 fastback. I had to put a new torque box in it to make it road worthy, and put on a pretty paint job that masked the fact that it was a structural death trap, but she was a strong runner for what she was! I know where the car is today, it's being restored. But the guy had to graft on the whole front end from another Mustang, 'cause the original was too far gone from the firewall forward. I've still got pictures of me and my car on the beach with surf racks and boards on the roof! :D