Buying A 1999

Cjrundy

Jan 9, 2017
Nebraska
Hey,

Im 16 and im about to buy my first car. Ive been looking at this one 1999 Mustang GT for only 4 grand . My dad thinks everything is ok with it. But i'm still not quite sure, so if you guys could let me know if this is priced right that would be great!

Also if you have any ideas for a build/ what i should mod first lmk.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Any pics of it? How many miles? Maintence records?
Auto or Manual?
Condition of body?
Condition of interior?
AC all there?
Does it work?
Heat work?
Tires bald?
Brakes good?
Any Mods done to it?
That's about all I got on a value assessment lol.

As far as your first mods question-
The absolute first thing you should do is-
Make sure the car is as close to 100% healthy as it can be. And I mean go over it front to back/top to bottom .
Tune up,changing all the fluids,serpentine belt,hoses,brakes,tires, etc etc etc lol

Good luck with your first car,start a thread and post up pics.
Also- Welcome to Stangnet

I'd call a few local garages in your area and see what they charge for a used car inspection,then see if the owner would meet you there for said inspection.. you can figure out price after .

Honestly the best bang for your buck mods would be suspension and brake upgrades. You would be amazed what a set of sub frame connectors will do for it lol

AmericanMuscle.com is good. LateModelRestoration.com is another good site, then the usuals like RockAuto.com and eBay etc.

I've had several different cat backs,from wild(loud) to mild(less loud).I currently run a Flowmaster-esque 2-chamber set up with dumps. Drones like crazy lol. If loud is what you are after-check out the SLP Loudmouth line up. I think the SL2's are the Loud mufflers,match those up to an off-road X or H pipe,and you will be deaf in no time :D

Reactions: 1 user
I'm gonna throw Bassani into the mix. They're pricey, but they sound great. I've been running their cat-back on my '03 for the past 12 years now and love how it sounds. It's not raspy or obnoxious or ridiculously loud...it nice and throaty and just right in the volume department. I need to replace one of the mufflers though...the baffling inside has come loose (probably from banging around under the car when the rubber hanger split...which was unknown by me for an awfully long time).

For parts, my go-to is Late Model Restoration. They've had all I've needed and they're great to work with as far as customer service goes. If they don't have something, I check RockAuto now too (but I really need to know the part needed).

Reactions: 1 user
Slp 1's are the loud ones. My car has them and EVERYONE knows when I'm coming or going, even if babying the throttle. It's teenager loud, so right up the OP's alley lol. I will be swapping for a bit milder muffler, likely a magnaflow, which are still pretty loud. Off road mid pipe is where most of the sound comes from.

If you want to do it cheap, buy and off road h pipe and leave the stock catback on. You'd be very surprised at how loud the stock mufflers are when you remove 4 cat's.

if you want rumble go with an h pipe and a chambered muffler like mac or flow's. If you want loud and rasp go with an x and a bullet muffler like slp or borla stingers (very damn pricey).

I picked up more et from a set of drag radials and off road mid pipe than any other bolt on mod (if you're not counting n2o or a blower as a bolt on mod).