Buying a Mustang - Coming From Volkswagens

TheAirbusGuy

Dec 3, 2012
I just decided to sell my current car 2004 VW Jetta 1.8T 5 Speed and pick up a Mustang. I always loved these cars and I finally want to get into the muscle car scene. I'm specifically looking at the 1999-2004 Mustangs. What engine would you get, the V6 or the V8? Power and Torque of each? Fuel Efficiency, I'm a college student and will be commuting about 45 minutes each way? I'm very excited to be getting into the muscle car scene, I always wanted to but never took the plunge. If you guys have an pictures of your cars feel free to share them, I like to get some inspiration before I start modding up my cars. As far as for wheels Im thinking about these. http://oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Wheels-for-Mustang/Mustang-FR500-Wheels-Black Possibly in a different color, but Black works to I guess.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a V6 Mustang and I don't recommend them.

The fuel economy isn't all that great and there are a couple of design flaws that are a pain in the rump to deal with.

If you get a Mustang, get a V8-it's just a better car.

Based on what you posted, i'd get the V8. Highway fuel economy is decent. I used to get 26-27MPG highway with my 2003GT running 87 octane. GT has 260HP, 300 TQ.

Insurance will be higher than a V6, so keep that in mind.

Ain't no shame in getting a V6. That is what mine is. Fuel mileage depends on how you drive and what kind of areas. I have not tested mine on strictly highway but best I have gotten was 24.7...but that was a lot of city and hilly (55 MPH) highway. My 98 V6 only has 72k miles on it too. Just take care of it and she'll take care of you.

Keep in mind, mine is also an automatic. If you don't know this: manual transmissions get better mileage

I've owned both and there are a lot of factors you need to keep in mind. Insurance is the primary factor as the GT will cost nearly double what the V6 will. Fuel economy is very similar on the Highway but in the City the V6 does better. What are the winters like where you are ? The V8 is not as good in the winter because or the higher torque it produces. The GT makes 260 HP/ 300 TQ the V6 car makes 190 HP/ 22o TQ . If you were getting a V6 car I would recommend a manual trans if you want to have fun with it. Plus with the V6 being a pushrod engine as opposed to the 4.6's overhead cams. The V6 makes it's peak torque in a much lower RPM range so in the Winter it's easy with a manual to take off in second gear.

It's really going to be up to you but I'd consider all this before buying one.