C&L 76mm MAF an Inlet help

onefstsnake

Nov 25, 2005
Northern VA
I just installed this today. Instalation was easy. Im running a 9" K&N cone on it. But the car sounds like it has a cam now... crappy idle...
Im thinking maybe the oil from the filter and/or residue on the new MAF might have messed up the MAF sensor.

Ive also read that rotating the MAF will help.. But how can I rotate the MAF if its mounted to the bracket???

Ive tried disconnecting the battery for a while (trying to reset the ECU)
Maybe I need to adjust the TPS sensor for the new MAF?

Not really sure. Just know it idles bad.

I did notice that the 76mm MAF and inlet tube w/ the K&N filter seemed to smooth out the power band. Before the car was really torquey at low RPM. Seems the kit moved the Torque range up a few hundred RPM. It might have given me a little more power at high RPM.

Any help with the idle would be great.

Ken

• Sponsors (?)

You don't need the MAF mount bracket, the rubber ducting will support it. You may need a bracket to hold the cone filter in place if doesn't have one, My MAF hasn't had a bracket for several years now.

See the sticky "Help me create the Surging Idle Checklist" at the top of the forum for help with your idle problems. The first most contains all the updates to the fixes. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.

Clocking the MAF housing is definitely the place to start.

Replacing the MAF has no effect on the TPS. However, I would recommend that you check the settings.

I found with that meter I made more HP/TQ and all around ran better on a Dyno with a STOCK Airbox and standard paper filter. j is right, you do not need the bracket.

Yeah, the C&L with an open filter (like a cone) is very suseptable to fan wash... This is basically at idle, the air that the fan is moving is getting into the inlet and messing up the MAF reading... I run a 73MM and intake tube with the stock air box and K&N. Works fine... I do get a surge every now and then, but I think it has to do with a very low idle setting.

Also, I NEEDED the MAF bracket. Without it, the intake tube would rattle on the strut tower.. :)

I doubt Im getting any fan wash with the cone filter.

Im using a Taurus electric fan and it doesnt seem to blow air everywhere, or atleast towards the filter.

ceb8f49c.jpg

78934c30.jpg

Attachments

• ceb8f49c.jpg
    ceb8f49c.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 78934c30.jpg
    78934c30.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 98
Some might not have issues, but MOST do. Some fix it by clocking the meter, usually so the sampling tube is towards the drivers side... so it won't be affected. And if you have an ELECTRIC fan, oh yeah, you're gunna get fan wash no matter what you feel LOL. Again, C&L knows their 5.0 Mustang kits don't work well unless it's used with the stock air box... Go by their instuctions, but if you don't... and you have idle issues.. you know why.

i didn't think my fan was causing me a problem either but try opening your hood when it acts up next time and see if it clears up. i started mine with the hood closed and the idle would surge. opened the hood and it was fine. i put a shield on the one side of the filter and it cleared everything up.

you can get an air filter shield for that open filter off ebay for $6.00 and $9.00 shipping - simple clamp on - cheap as I can buy the materials - I just made one yesterday out of some roof flashing and thin 3/4 inch aluminum bar stock and pop rivits to custom fit the air filter of my 1993 GT with the in the fender CAI to keep water from reaching the filter in long drives in the pouring rain like I ran into last week. Just search ebay using "air filter shield" and dozens will show up - they seem to be all stainless units

PoopDawg said:
Some might not have issues, but MOST do. Some fix it by clocking the meter, usually so the sampling tube is towards the drivers side... so it won't be affected. And if you have an ELECTRIC fan, oh yeah, you're gunna get fan wash no matter what you feel LOL. Again, C&L knows their 5.0 Mustang kits don't work well unless it's used with the stock air box... Go by their instuctions, but if you don't... and you have idle issues.. you know why.

I fixed mine by changing to a Pro-M 75mm. :D

i know lee bender at c&l personally and have the same kit you have.when i bought it from him,he told me not to use the mount.now i dont know how you would do that,but i went back to the panel filter after trying it the way youhave it.lee told me that the open air filter on his kit would circulate to much air around the filter and mass air causing a buffering effect which in turn causes erradic idle and loss of power.HE WAS RIGHT.put the panel filter back in,no mount under unit and it idled perfectly and picked up power.