CAI's in the rain

• Sponsors (?)

Had an 88 gt with a "ram air" kit on it. The intake was down where the fog lights were. Hit a puddle hydro locked the motor.

Back in the 5.0 vs Buick Grand national heyday all kinds of snake oil stuff was out there. This car is very popular and there will be a flood of b.s performance parts.
With most of these cold air deals you don't feel anything. It's numbers on a dyno.
Ford spent a lot of $$ on R&D; you will probably get just as much "gain" with a K&N in the stocker.

caveat emptor :nice:
Save your money.

bs deals

Alec said:
Had an 88 gt with a "ram air" kit on it. The intake was down where the fog lights were. Hit a puddle hydro locked the motor.

Back in the 5.0 vs Buick Grand national heyday all kinds of snake oil stuff was out there. This car is very popular and there will be a flood of b.s performance parts.
With most of these cold air deals you don't feel anything. It's numbers on a dyno.
Ford spent a lot of $$ on R&D; you will probably get just as much "gain" with a K&N in the stocker.

caveat emptor :nice:
Save your money.
Come look at the extra 28 rwhp on the dyno on my cold air bs performance parts. Come feel the difference in the seat of your pants and experience the better throttle response. A stock K & N will get you little in hp or seat of the pants feel. Please read the posts and see the improvement these things along with a tune make.

In some cases there is less chance of hydro lock. I've been working on cars for years and seen many factory set-ups cause this disaster. Some of the cone-type cold air set-ups for trucks are being marketed as preventing a hydr-lock.

jpiatchek said:
Come look at the extra 28 rwhp on the dyno on my cold air bs performance parts. Come feel the difference in the seat of your pants and experience the better throttle response. A stock K & N will get you little in hp or seat of the pants feel. Please read the posts and see the improvement these things along with a tune make.
Notice I said MOST....not all, and you say along with a TUNE. So is it the bumped up timing/fuel map... or is it your air filter setup. Relax your car is teh fastest you WIN!!

rob6773 said:
In some cases there is less chance of hydro lock. I've been working on cars for years and seen many factory set-ups cause this disaster. Some of the cone-type cold air set-ups for trucks are being marketed as preventing a hydr-lock.
I live in houston and regular cars get high water damaged all the time.
I just want people to remember some of these cold air setups are junk.
Ever notice they are the first "performance part" out along with mufflers pipes etc..
Sometimes stock is pretty good, sometimes it sucks :D

Alec said:
I just want people to remember some of these cold air setups are junk.
Ever notice they are the first "performance part" out along with mufflers pipes etc..
Sometimes stock is pretty good, sometimes it sucks :D

Normally I might agree with this statement. However, with the '05 Mustang GT there is a lot of power to be had in freeing up the intake track.

The stock air box, filter, MAF hausing, vapor trap is pretty restrictive on the '05's. I have a Steeda setup and LOVE IT.

ummm, the CAI on the 05 is up pretty high. If you hit a puddle big enough to submerge it you probably ran into a lake, not a puddle.

What about all those 60's muscle cars with open element air filters? Water never got around the hood and onto the filter. For the engine to hydro-lock you'd have to completely submerge the filter. In some cases, as others have mentioned, they run the air inlet to a spot like a low fog lamp opening, or an intake below the bumper. If you live in a place with a lot of rain, and you regularly drive through standing puddles a foot deep or more, then maybe you'll have trouble. But as far as I've seen, the CAI's take their air right from the engine bay...

You should have no concern about the CAI. It's $$$ well spent (with a tune).

What about if you had a hood like the RKSport California Dream? What keeps water from coming into it when you're driving in the rain and then dropping right onto the filter? What am I missing?

schmads said:
What about if you had a hood like the RKSport California Dream? What keeps water from coming into it when you're driving in the rain and then dropping right onto the filter? What am I missing?

Most CAIs have a sheild around them that would protect the cone. The RKSport hood would not cause water to fly under your hood and into the cone filter.