Cams! Please help

FalconGuy016

Oct 26, 2004
Northern VA
Hey,

I just tried searching, and I went through a ton of threads. I probably missed the one that is probably exactly like this one though, so feel free to flame.

I have always loved the sound of cams and now that I've got some rwhp+ numbers in my head vs price, im very interested. It seemed that most of the cam debate seemed to center around agressive vs. non agressive, but im shocked to find that they are all around the same price. So it has become a true question of what you want and driveability.

First of all, which one, of Comp Cams vs VT Competition, is better by your opinion? There seem to be more specific applications for Comp Cams, but I also notice lots of people have VT. I'd love to get as much power as possible, but I drive this car every day as a daily driver. Granted, I wouldnt mind losing a little to get a lot more.

Second question is which cam to go with. What are some consequences of the more aggressive cams vs. milder ones. I dont mind an idling rumble, as long as it isnt shaking me apart. Actually, I wouldnt mind, im just looking out for my girlfriend on this one :D

Thanks a lot everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

The comp cam xe270 stage II cam is a good inbetween. That's what I have and I am very pleased. Good performance gains depending on your mods and a noticable idle. Not hard on the motor for everyday driving either. Here is a sound clip from another site. Not my car and is the VT but the numbers are about the same and the sound is as well.Be sure to wait 22 seconds as instructed by site then click cam download.

http://ezshare.de/files-en/172684/187/cams2.wmv

Check out VT N/A Stage 1 cams...I have them in my 01 GT Daily driver without a spring upgrade...it has a nice "cam sound" with a very mild shake to the car...I also gained 33rwhp and 13rwtq with a superchips tuning.

If you want tons of power above 2500 rpm and a very noticeable rough idle I would go with the Comp Cam XE 278......I run these in a 306 stroker and love them. I would also go with Comp Cams beehive springs as the .550 lift is almost too much for stock springs...........

VT makes excellent cams and plus they frequent these forums.

Stage 1 is great power without the hassle of upgrading the springs and the idle isn't too choppy.
I prefer the sound and lopey idle of the S2 and of course the power, but I think for a daily driver it may be a bit much. I imagine cold starts might be a little rough as well.

Springs are extra insurance. I'd rather spend $190 on springs than replace the shortblock.

VT has the best reputation as far as very few quality issues. Comp on the other hand has had some issues with PTV contact (on the 270s) due to a 5* advance that they were grinding into their cams to get better bottom end response. Then there was a bunch of problems earlier with base-circle problems that resulted in shimming.

VT vs. Comp? I'd almost go with VT Stage II cams if I had it to do all over again just for the peace of mind that they don't have the PTV contact issues that Comp has had. As you said, the Stage I prices are the same as Stage II so why not get the most power for your money? There is an old thread at Modular Depot where a '00 GT was tested before/after with VT Stage II cams. The only other mod was welded in Flowmasters and the car gained 29hp peak and some nice numbers under the curve too.

I personally have the XE270AH cams and they sound and run great. However, they definitely need some steep gearing and 4.10s or 4.30s would be the ticket. My 3.73s are coming out in the spring for 4.30s unless I change my mind.

Consequences with the bigger cams are few. Mine will rock a little as I noticed it today at the drive-up window at Hardees. Nothing violent, just a gentle rocking side to side. Mileage hasn't dropped much and normal driveability is good. My tune could use a little work as I have some cold start-up issues that are due to poor tuning. If you got your XCalibrator with the cable, you should be able to get a good tune via email as there are now enough cammed 4.6s that it should be a breeze to get it correct.

Hmmm, thanks a lot for the responses.

I read that article at modular depot and it mentioned that the stage 1 cams gained their power in the upper RPM range, losing none in the lower. It went on to say that to gain the power in the lower RPM, you would have to make some sacrifices in the upper, but is that referring to the stage II cams or, just in general to achieve that effect you would sacrifice the upper.

Thanks!

I have comp XE278's in my N/A motor with patriot stage 2 heads. Motor made 300RWHP, 330RWTQ. The only problem I had was the base circle was way off. (was like driving a car with the rocker arms not adjusted). I am waiting for a new set from comp. I should see 15-20 more RWHP when I get em installed. Drivability is good if you get a tune. Power suffers under 3,000 RPM, but the gain up top is unreal.

madmatt said:
So would the Stage one VT cams be good with the 3.73's in my car? I dont want to deal with Comp because they have the bad PTV contact issues. Dont want to deal with that...

3.73's would be fine with the VT Stage 1 Cams...I'm running them in my 01 with 3.73's