Car Doing Better;if I Get This Cel Worked Out I Think........

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
Yesterday I reset base timing and adjusted the fp and it seems my low rpm bucking, jerking, miss is pretty much gone. Here is an update on what I did today:

Now back to what all I saw with my car today. I started it up and still have the sort of flooding sound to crank it when it cranks. Curious, I took the fp down from 37-38 with vacuum line on down to 36.Left the yard and no jerking, no bucking. Smooth 1000 rpm idle driving out the yard. Drove car a few miles to my grandmothers, got down on her good and it pulled very very well, very hard. Didn't seem to have the low rpm miss either. Went to my brother's barbershop for few hrs, 4 mile trip then back to my grandmothers to pick up my son. All total of about 8 miles at most and when I went to go home, engine light came on on the final 2 mile drive. It stayed on for maybe 3 minutes then went out. Got home and did a koeo and koer test and didnt get any codes.

I left to go back up to town and when I pulled into the parking lot CEL came on. When I went to park the rpm's went up from 1000 to 2000 and stayed there for some seconds after I threw into neutral. When I left to go home halfway home I got like a jerk and I not sure if the CEL was still on at the time or not. I know it was on most of way home I think then it went out. I did another koeo and koer test and didnt get anything but the code for egr which is off the car and a 111-system pass. With car running during the koer test, after a few minutes, I just revved engine a little from 1-2000 and then I got a 538. I looked in the book and there is no 538 code. I only got that when I revved the engine a little. Other than that, no code. I'm thinking it must be the IAC or maybe the 02's. I would think the TPS would give a code but maybe none would give a code if it wasnt having the problem during the test. Easy fix is to just go to autozone and get an IAC and see if it still does that and possibly 02s as well and try them . I would try the 02's possibly first then the IAC. Also I when i came back home first time and CEL was on, I unplugged the IAC and the engine light was still on.
It appears 538 is insufficient rpm during koer test. I guess because of me revving from 1-2000.
But the car minus that minor hickup drove and idled well. Only thing now is the CEL and what exactly it is and the way it is starting up and sounding like its flooding. HOpe that the CEL problem when I find and fix that it solves my starting issue as well.

I REALIZED I DIDNT SWITCH CAR OFF FOR BOUT 10 SECONDS AFTER THE KOEO TEST, I JUST STARTED IT UP AND WENT TO THE KOER TEST. BUT CAR DID SIT FOR BOUT A MINUTE SWITCHED ON WAITING TO SEE IF ANY CODES WOULD COME UP AFTER THE FEW CODES OF THE KOEO TEST STOPPED. I GUESS IT SHOULDNT OF MATTERED

• Sponsors (?)

Your Fuel Pressure is set too high. (causing a rich condition, in turn could be out of the range for O2 correction of +- 15%)

With vaccume OFF is should be 36-40
With vaccume ON is should drop down to 26-30 (my car is at 28)

Your Fuel Pressure is set too high. (causing a rich condition, in turn could be out of the range for O2 correction of +- 15%)

Ok I guess I was understanding the concept wrong and thinking 36-38 with line on. Will drop it down.

But guess what I found out yesterday! My coil had a situation to where it was leaking Gel. I have the MSD 8227 they sent me back in feb as replacement. I must admit mine was old and had seemed like the tip had started to chip off and the plug wouldnt fit snug on it. They sent me a new one out even though it was past the warranty. The one they sent me in feb is the one I noticed leaking the gel. I had seen a spot of something brown on coil housing, underneath on the surface of the block but didnt think it was anything to worry about. Yes looking at it yesterday it was coming from the coil. I cleaned the harness connector up good and put other msd coil on and the car fired right up, no hessitation. I emailed them and hopefully they will send me a replacement. I wonder what caused that in first place. None of my other coils ever did that. I googled that also and found nothing on the matter

That is odd with the coil being defective.
Under load that would arc over to anything metal.

I actually just bought a replacement plug for the part that goes into the coil. I have to splice that in this weekend.

That is odd with the coil being defective.
Under load that would arc over to anything metal.

I actually just bought a replacement plug for the part that goes into the coil. I have to splice that in this weekend.
where'd you get yours? I might have to replace that as well

i think mine only drop about 6-7 psi with line on

i set it to about 30 with line on and with line off i think it went up to about 36-37

rockauto.com

Super cheap, highly recomended.
i just replied that with line on i set it to bout 30 and it only went up about 6-7 psi with line off.

i still notice a little miss taking off, little hesitation. I will get my x pipe checked where it meets the headers and tailpipes. Everything else is checked out.

FWIW the factory fuel pressure specs are:
KOER 30-45 psi
KOEO 35-40 psi.

Now I'm puzzled by this statement "sort of flooding sound to crank". What is a flooding sound? Gurgling?

FWIW the factory fuel pressure specs are:
KOER 30-45 psi
KOEO 35-40 psi.

Now I'm puzzled by this statement "sort of flooding sound to crank". What is a flooding sound? Gurgling?
is that 30 with line on and 45 with line off ......and ..... 35 line on/40 off. On another forum this guy said all the research he has done and also what his tuner said was to set it at 39.5 with line off so I guess 39/40 should be fine

That sound when the vehicle is getting too much gas and doesnt crank smoothly. Almost like a weedeater or lawnmower when its choking I guess. And found that problem, it was my coil. It had started to leak that gel fluid, brown and gooey,sticky. I contacted msd and hopefully they will send me another

is that 30 with line on and 45 with line off ......and ..... 35 line on/40 off. On another forum this guy said all the research he has done and also what his tuner said was to set it at 39.5 with line off so I guess 39/40 should be fine

That sound when the vehicle is getting too much gas and doesnt crank smoothly. Almost like a weedeater or lawnmower when its choking I guess. And found that problem, it was my coil. It had started to leak that gel fluid, brown and gooey,sticky. I contacted msd and hopefully they will send me another

KOEO is the same as having the line off when the engine is running, ie. no vacuum to the regulator. The values for KOER is with the line on. Those numbers are the acceptable range for each condition.