Car is eating fuel pumps, 2 in 2 days, help

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
im about to the end of my rope with this car.

i put in a new fuel pump to fix my cutting out issue. it fixed it, the pump lasted 7 miles and went out. primed, checked pressure, did it once more. started car and drove. got it up to temp, drove a little more, got on it once and then came home. shut it off, went to start again to adjust my idle, and it hesitated once, hesitated twice then nothing.

we cleaned my existing pump, put it in. ran great yesterday. drove it like 110 miles. didnt even get on it, all normal driving. turned it off and started it a few times at misc. stops. now today i went out to go to school and it wont start. it primed fine, turned the key, ran for a split second and died. now it wont start, and the pump is just making a small clicking sound. hesitating to draw any fuel, no pressure :bang:

what the hell! the ONLY thing i can think of is this. the original pump i had used a one piece, enclosed connector. the new pos i got that lasted 7 miles from shucks, it had it setup to use 2 female connectors. so we cut the one off i had, and crimped two female connectors on. they arent "enclosed" as the original connector was. is that what causes them to fry?

everything is fine for a little bit, then it frys. once on a warm start now, once on cold. need any suggestions on this one. even checked the original pump about 100 times once it was installed and cleaned to insure it was going to work fine.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes finding out how much your pump is drawing is good know. Making sure you dont fry them that way. I would hope that the fuse would do its job and not let the pump draw more the nessecary. If you could take a fuel sample or look down into the tank. Make sure you didnt get a bad batch of gas or somthing. Remove your fuel filter check to see if its pluged also, thatll be a good indication if you have forgin material in your fuel system. Good luck