CAR NEEDS HELP, PLEASE DIAGNOSE??

Hey guys and girls,
I've been a member here for a while, and need some help with the car. Ive had it in the shop so many times lately only to replce things that dont need to be replaced, and I still have problems. Heres whats happening:
Car sometimes doesnt start. Turns over fine, sounds healthy like it's going to start but then it just keeps turning obver. Finally starts after anywhere from 2 to 10 tries. This does not happen all the time, sometimes starts right up. The other problem, which is more serious and dangerous is that it stalls while I am driving, occurs very randomly. Some days it doesnt happen at all, but today it stalled like 10 times, I had to pull over, then it wouldnt start. Finally got it started, and it ran fine???
Heres what Ive had replaced: (or at least paid the mechanic to replace)
fuel pump, mass air flow sensor, distributor module, full tune up (should include spark plugs, however last time it was there he said it wasnt sparking, thats why he replaced the distributor module). Also had a new exhaust put on, and the car was recalibrated after all work was done. I have all receipts, as other thigns have been replaced as well, but everythings at school. I'm home for the w/e.
I am located in Mass and RI, and need another mechanic, or someone who knows what they're doing. Please help me out, my aim is narce395, cell # 508 864 0450. Thanks a lot
-Jon

• Sponsors (?)

Have you replaced the ECT/IAT sensors? Have you replaced the O2 sensors?

Compression test? Vacuum test?

Any of those could be the culprit. Get your compression/vacuum tested first. Then we can go from there.
Scott

thanks guys,
as far as cel codes, the check engine light was coming on a while ago, but the new fuel pump fixed it, and it just came baqck on today for the first time again, so I can probably get that code checked now. I mean these problems happen every couple days or so, but when I bring it to the mechanic they say it runs fine, so they really havent helped me out. Then I get it back, and 2 days later it starts having the same problems. The only thign they mentioned last time is that it wasn;t getting a spark when starting up, but they said the distributor module would fix it. well nothing has fixed anything yet, it still has problems, and i'm not too happy. thanks a lot. anyone know a good mechanic in the Mass/RI area???? Thanks again,
-Jon

i had the same problems once, and i changed the fuel pump and it still wasn't right. so i finally changed my fuel filter and presto! problem solved. this is very inexpensive and easy to do yourself, so hop at it. one more thing, you're not answering your cellphone :nonono:

Are you still not getting any spark when cranking the car?

You need to clarify something with your mechanic. The "distributor module" that he replaced. Was it the TFI (ignition module underneath the air filter) or was it the stator (PIP sensor inside the distributor). From your description, it sounds like he replaced the Stator.

Your symptoms are classic for a TFI/Stator problem. If he's replaced the Stator, then take the TFI module to autozone and get them to check it. They have a machine that will be able to tell if the TFI module is bad.

When the distributor module was being replaced I did stop by while they were working on it, and they were definitely working right under where the air filter is located. they actually put in a used distributor module that they had, and said after they installed it the car was getting spark and everything checked out, but like I said a couple days later and now it was worse than ever yesterday. Today the car started right up, and stalled twice while driving around all day. Last night real late, the car ran fine. I never know what to expect when I turn the key and take her for a ride. I am just worried one time it wont start at all, or it'll stall while taking a turn (no power steering or braking), and that would turn out disasterous. Chrismillion, sorry bro, my cells been low on battery, I left my charger at school, although I dont have any missed calls? Also, I keep asking if anyone knows a good place to go for service/diagnostic work that is honest and inexpensive (relative to a ford dealer anyway) in my area. I can check my receipts as well, and I do want to say that the fuel filter was also replaced along with the pump.
-Jon

Ok. What they replaced was the TFI (ignition) module. That definitely could have been the cause of your problems. Unfortunatly for you, it didn't fix the stalling problem. I'm still thinking ignition, so the other part of the equation is the Stator that I mentioned earlier. The Stator is also know as the Profile Ignition Pickup sensor. It is located immediately below the cap on your distributor. The part is around $40 from Ford (cheaper at Napa, Autozone etc.) so its not too expensive. It is a little tricky to change though because you have to remove the distributor and press off the drive gear to remove the Stator.

Read the Following threads for more info;
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=542627&highlight=stator
http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/TFI-PIP/TFI-PIP.htm

I just changed the Stator on my Mustang last week. It actually wasn't that hard to do. You do need a press to get the drive gear off though.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the input so far guys, but i still need A GOOD MECHANIC IN THE NORTHEAST AREA. (ri or ma preferably)
also i have my receipts now from my local mechanic back home. heres what was fixed or replaced (im no mechanic myself, so possibly something could have been replaced wrong?? doubtful but just saying) anyway here it is:
tune up (spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv valve)
fuel pump strainer
distributor cap
distributor rotor
ignition coil
fuel pump (and filter, again? no idea why, filter was already replaced there 2 weeks prior)
mass air flow sensor
and last time i went, he said he put in a used distributor module (under air filter) as car was not sparking correctly
thanks again guys, but i need a new mechanic. any ideas? i'm gonna bring this forum printed out to them so they have a good idea of whats goin on. this thing has cost me more than its worth lately. rear end also locked up, and brakes were just replaced all around. anyway enough of that, thanks
-Jon
aim narce395

I would check your fuel regulator. If it's taking a crap and can't hold pressure that would cause a stalling and hard starts. Also, check you spark plug wires I had a problem with starting a few weeks ago. I replaced the coil and wires with the MSD parts and haven't had a problem since. Good luck. Oh check in the StangNet Regional forums and ask in there for a good shop in your area.