Car stalls and won't start up for a while

drbobj67

Sep 22, 2006
Here is the deal. Kind of a long story but it covers several months. 67 289 automatic. The car was sitting for 4-5 years, head gasket was bad. Had some machine work on heads and new edelbrok Al intake and carb and pertronix ign. The gas and other fluids drained and replaced WHen I checked the fuel sending unit, the little sock filter was loose and kind of old but I did not have a replacement so I put it back on. Got it running pretty good for several months. About a month or two ago it stalled 3-4 times driving from LA to San Diego about 120 miles. Each time it would start right back up. I figured some gunk might have come from the old tank, the little filter sock was gone. So I drained it again and made sure the fuel lines were clear. I put in an additional inline fuel filter about the size of a lemon right before the fuel pump. And checked the other filter right before the carb. The car started stalled maybe once or twice over the next day or two after that everything was fine.

Yesterday afternoon it stalled again going over a small hill but while it was coasting it resumed running later that afternoon it stalled out and did not start right away, got it started few minutes later and drove about 200 yards stalled again. a minute or two later it started drove another 50 yards and stalled. I coasted into a gas station since it was only at 1/4 tank I got 3-4 gallons of gas. It started and then stalled, I took off the air cleaner and when I looked into the carb and moved the accelerator to check for gas, I couldn't actually see far enough in to see the stream of gas but saw vapor comming up. I had to be somewhere so I got a ride and came back about 3 hours later and after a few tries started it up went about 3 blocks and dead again. I decided to have it towed the remaining 1/2 block home.

This AM I Checked a few things. I disconnected the fuel line at the carb and check to see if fuel was pumping, Yes it was. Checked the with voltmeter had 9 volts at the + terminal of the coil. Pulled a plug to check for spark. Did not see a spark but I may have just missed it, while I was checking the plug the car started briefly. Then I put the plug back in and got it stared. After ideling for about 2-4 minutes it stalled and by that time the battery did not have anymore juice. So I put the battery on the charger and I'll try again later.

Anyone have any ideas? I know I could replace the fuel tank and lines, but I never say any evidence of corrosion when I looked inside the tank, and I am pumping fuel to the carb. Could there be something going on with the carb, floats? Have no experience with any carb cleaning or overhauling before but as I mentioned the carb was brand new 8-9 months ago.

Thanks for any input ideas.

• Sponsors (?)

Actually the new filter was put between the tank and the mechanical fuel pump. WHen I was calling around to see if any local auto parts places had the little filter sock, Carquest said they had one but when I got there they sold me the inline filter it is a metal cylinder about 3 inch diameter and about 4 inch long. They said that cars don't use the sock filters anymore and to add this one, to take its place.

So to clarify when I got the car running originally I put in a new filter right before the carb. and recently I added an additional filter right before the fuel pump. So there are two filters one between the tank and the pump (which was never there before), the second wsa a new replacement of the existing filter between the pump and the carb.

Hope that clarifys things.

Try this, try bypassing the resistor wire on you ignition
switch. Since you're running a petronix, they really like 12V.
Also check the ignition switch, wiring on switch could be loose
or bad. I've got a 66 that had same symptoms as your's.
My switch was bad, but so was my resistor wire. It kept
going up in resistance, which led to low voltage for the
ignition.

G/L, sparky!!!

Try this, try bypassing the resistor wire on you ignition
switch. Since you're running a petronix, they really like 12V.
Also check the ignition switch, wiring on switch could be loose
or bad. I've got a 66 that had same symptoms as your's.
My switch was bad, but so was my resistor wire. It kept
going up in resistance, which led to low voltage for the
ignition.

G/L, sparky!!!

I realize from your post that I left out a piece of info, when I originally put in the pertronixs I put in a direct wire from the IGN switch to the pertronixs to get the 12 volts. I don't remember for sure if I took a volt reading after putting in the wire, I figured I should be getting 12 that is why I was a little supprised when I got a reading of 9 at the + coil terminal.

This is a definite area to recheck.

I have an aftermarket universal IGN switch in there now. I have a new replacement switch but have not put it in yet. perhaps now is a good time. The problem lies in the fact that the plug that attaches to the back of the original IGN switch is missing, someone ripped out the IGn switch when the car was stolen years back.

Update on stalling

Well looks like the problem is solved. Turns out the wire that I added to bypass the resistor wire for the electronic IGN from the IGn switch to the coil was loose at the coil. I disconnected it cleaned it up a little and put it back on and tightened it up. No more stalling. Also I noticed an increase in the acceleration.

Glad it turned out to be a simple fix