no fuel to carb

BlakAdder

Apr 18, 2023
So recently i got a 1974 Ford Mustang and so i realised fuel isn't going to the carb so i decided i got a new gas tank. fuel filter. and fuel pump but i tried cranking her over again and no gas is going to the carb, before you guys ask yes i have about 2 gallons in the tank. just any advice on what i should check for next would be nice.

• Sponsors (?)

74 means I4 or V6. If I remember correctly the V6 can have issues with the pushrod that drives the mechanical fuel pump. There is also the possibility, that both fuel pumps (old and new) are different in construction about the pushrod drive...
I'm not a V6 expert, but perhaps some else with more knowledge will reply.

Sounds like it's 1 of 3 situations: the pickup doesn't reach the fuel level, there's a clog/restriction somewhere, or the pump is bad. OR, for some odd reason, someone installed the lines on the pump wrong.... dunno how that could happen, but you never know what some people have done with these cars in the past.... :nonono:

Did you happen to purge the fuel lines up to the carburetor?

I would imagine it's a mechanical fuel pump but I don't want to assume.
yea its a mechanical and im not sure so step by step i got a new tank hooked evrything up added 2 gallons and cleaned our the fuel lines with air then i got new fuel pump and nothing

If it were me, I would attach a hose to the intake side of the pump and put the other end in a gas can. That will tell you for sure if the pump is working or not. If it is not, then you would have to find out if it is the pump, push rod or eccentric.

Reactions: 1 user
whats the fix with it
the possibility, that both fuel pumps (old and new) are different in construction about the pushrod drive...

If I remember right theres no fix but correct selection of parts...
early v6 had some fuel vapor lock problems.
Later versions got a spacer to move pump away from block.
so different pump drive cam lobes, push rods, and base circles.
There was something else but will have to think about it for a bit.